Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foundstone is in TROUBLE

KorpDeath is right there isn't an excuse for pirated software.... but I blame the software companies themselves.... j/k.... but when you think about it they wouldn't have pirated software if they went open source, or even just freeware. Anyways...... pirated software is everywhere.... It's no different than MP3s.... It's stolen intellectual property. Hell I know a cop whom I used to do computer work for, he had MP3s and pirated software. Everyone does it..... and I think that the actions of the masses make it acceptable, it's not something any one of us can look down on. Everyone member of AO has pirated software or MP3s on their computer. My HS when we needed software we had to get it ourselves. Many times I had faculty members come up and say hey I need this software for my class, can you find it for me, or I only have the demo can you find me a crack. We all get mad when RIAA and the MPAA crank down on people for MP3s, but then people turn around at get mad at people for having pirated software...wake up people. it's the same difference. I think they should go in and check the personal computers of the whistleblowers.. I bet their home computers are full of illegal things (Movies, MP3s and software).

I can't remember *ever* working for a company where I haven't found mounds of license violations or outright pirated software. All that happened here is that some ex-employees shined the flashlight on FoundStone and the media ate it up.
    That's right! I know of a guy (I will not name names) has a nice ISP, makes plenty of money, and is HEAVILY involved in piracy. Not just the softlifting, but redistributing the software, downloading pirated software from P2P, selling OEM software without hardware, loading pirated software on people's PC when repairing/selling them, and even goes to China to see his wifes' family and comes back with literally armloads of pirated stuff to trade and sell. He even has a private FTP server with loads of crap on it, and more than one person is involved.

Yes, many "get away with it" but I am waiting for the day he gets seriously busted. The thing is, all it takes is ONE person to report you... a customer, a disgruntled employee, anybody. I mean ther is less of a chance of getting caught if you use it on your own, but to own a shop and a big network and outright deal in the **** is like waving a red flag and tooing a horn "I AM A PIRATE. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN"

Jack

I think Foundstones plight may be made worse by the fact that you used to actually be able to download "tools" from their web site which in effect turned their web site into a Warez site, not the best of things to do if you are a professional company (or at least trying to be one). The "tools" section contained just about any software you could want.

Several people I know used to work for E&Y and worked with the foundstone guys and all voiced similar criticisms to those mentioned i.e. that the foundstone courses were a duplicate of the E&Y ones.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too bad. They put out a great book.