Thread: Missing Encrypted Files....??

Missing Encrypted Files....??

Ok, this is strange.....I had multiple files in multiple folders encrypted into single executable files on my root drive, I used Ashampoo Power Encrypt Deluxe to encrypt them. They were intact and fine for months and all of a sudden...they're gone!!! I tried to recover them using several, reliable, recovery software programs, and there was not even a trace of a single one (file)...WTF! Running Windows XP Pro on the box with a hardware and software firewall and have also run a full AV scan and AdAware scan... everything was clean. I even tried and old restore point just for the hell of it but of course that didn't work. I'm gonna check out all of my system logs now but has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before? Any input is appreciated....Thanx.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

The files may have become 'superhidden' by accident. To view superhidden files, go into regedit and locate the following header:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \SOFTWARE \MICROSOFT \WINDOWS \CURRENTVERSION \EXPLORER \ADVANCED

click the advanced folder on the left, look down the list at the titles on the right, Look for: ShowSuperHidden, double click the title, set the value to equal to either 1 (show the super hidden files or 0 (not to show the super hidden files).

This is just another place and tool to look for the missing files. I think some viruses can now super hide themselves in XP!
    Chester

No, the superhidden key was correct. I even changed it to 0, rebooted, changed it back again, etc. but no go. Thanx for the excellent suggestion though cpopham...NE1 else have any?
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey