I've recently read an article discussing the future of Sony's Playstation. The new model will be called PSX (2.5) and will come equipped with an ethernet adapter, 120Gig Harddrive, T.V. Tuner, DVD Burner, USB 2.0 (for keyboard and mouse) and on top of all that, you'll be able to not only run linux on it, plus play all your cd-r's and cd-rw's.

What does this have to do with computer security? Well, if you didn't read the part about the PS2.5 having an ethernet adapter, than you should know, that this baby can now go online. Knowing this, do you see PS2.5's getting hacked, or do you see, more kids that couldn't afford a computer before, now getting this game console and taking a stroll down the information super-highway or down your lan for that matter.

You might not have really taken the time to think about it, but as the world introduces more smart devices that are internet ready, there will be more points to attack from, also, more people will be affected by network outages, "Ma the fridge is offline, I can't upload the grocery list to supermarket dot com". You get the point.

Right now, I'm pondering the risks of someone hacking the Personal Area Network (Cellphones, PDA's, Pagers). Will someone attempt to connect to the IR port on my PDA to steal my personal data?

I hope this rambling brings awareness for those that are security concious, plus the new PS2.5 is really neat..
The url for the PS2.5 article is here

--PuRe