Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacking With My PlayStation 2.5

Lightbulb Hacking With My PlayStation 2.5

I've recently read an article discussing the future of Sony's Playstation. The new model will be called PSX (2.5) and will come equipped with an ethernet adapter, 120Gig Harddrive, T.V. Tuner, DVD Burner, USB 2.0 (for keyboard and mouse) and on top of all that, you'll be able to not only run linux on it, plus play all your cd-r's and cd-rw's.

What does this have to do with computer security? Well, if you didn't read the part about the PS2.5 having an ethernet adapter, than you should know, that this baby can now go online. Knowing this, do you see PS2.5's getting hacked, or do you see, more kids that couldn't afford a computer before, now getting this game console and taking a stroll down the information super-highway or down your lan for that matter.

You might not have really taken the time to think about it, but as the world introduces more smart devices that are internet ready, there will be more points to attack from, also, more people will be affected by network outages, "Ma the fridge is offline, I can't upload the grocery list to supermarket dot com". You get the point.

Right now, I'm pondering the risks of someone hacking the Personal Area Network (Cellphones, PDA's, Pagers). Will someone attempt to connect to the IR port on my PDA to steal my personal data?

I hope this rambling brings awareness for those that are security concious, plus the new PS2.5 is really neat..
    The url for the PS2.5 article is here

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Am a big fan of PS2 and now comes PSX (I love the name). This has to run for 450 or 300 (U.S), with a 120 gig hard drive DAMN!! But I have the modem for the PS2, so isn't a big deal for it to have internet (don't get me wrong now I can surf the internet now thats kool ). You can PUT LINUX on it, holy $h|t thats awesome!!!!!!!!! Thanks for that info.

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

lol....I know some one who works with Sony and develops that stuff....it's gona be a full home entertainment system...fully networked and every thing....so......it's not gona be much more that a Computer with a really good graphics card....(Mac?) ne way...it's gona be cool...trust me...they have alot up their sleeves

(Megatokyo note: No ping in the near future tho...damn )

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Wow, the fact that a Playstation can run linux and basically is a computer is really awesome. Technology is really changing the way we do things. As for security aspects, I do not believe that Playstations will have many security threats as who wants to obtain information from a nine year old? Thanks for sharing this article it is very intresting.

J Hollings

I don't think there will be much of a problem with hacking Playstation's...the point of hacking is to gain knoledge. There's not much information on a Playstation that anyone in the right mind would want.

Originally posted here by FamStars&Straps
    I don't think there will be much of a problem with hacking Playstation's...the point of hacking is to gain knoledge. There's not much information on a Playstation that anyone in the right mind would want.

Your missing the whole point. The PS2.5 is going to be used just like a computer. Let's say for example that this new PS2.5 was diskless (which it's not) it would still be a target for hackers simply because it's there. There doesn't need to be anything on the disk for it to be useful, think about sniffing a network, cracking passwords, using as a jump off point for another attack, being used as a zombie in a distrubuted denial of service attack. What's worse is that it's not diskless, so it can actually be used as an ftp warez server or something. There are many things a cracker could do with an internet connected PS2.5 So, if you see the point now, you'll understand that new internet connected appliances require that you keep security in mind.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

although i think that any one "hacking" a psx would be pointless... there are a few dumb kids who may try... i think the only real concern though should be worms and virii. it sounds to me like you will prolly need some sort of decent av software, just like anyone else who goes on the internet.... i don't see anyone entering your system and playing around. besides what is it you fear they would do once in there?
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Yes, the PS 2.5 will be just another mini-linux box. (X-Box already has a a few linux versions for it, now you can run it w/o a mod chip due to a save game exploit) but I dont see a rash of PS2 hackers appearing, Windows will remain an easier target as usual. Also the the PSX and the PS2.5 are two different consoles, the PSX is was the codename for the PS2 before it came out but now seems like its going to be the PS3 name. PS2.5 is a PS2 with all the goodies attached, and dont foreget the PSP (playstaion portable) for when your away from your PS2.5! Check out Bunnie Huangs 'Hacking the X-Box' book for some really cool insight on console design and reverse engineering. Have fun putting a tux on your console everyone.

-Maestr0

X-Box ownz
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    On a different, but similar note I came across this link: Turning the SEGA Dreamcast into a Linux firewall/router

It is a 101-page document detailing how to turn a Dreamcast into a firewall / router.

I am not sure why one would put in the time and effort other than the challenge and the curiosity of seeing if you can do it, but I guess if you have enough time on your hands you can do that.

I have two defunct Dreamcasts in my basement (controller ports kept getting fried for some reason). I highly doubt I'll ever be this bored though. :-)

Looks like sony is pulling out all the stops. I bet Microsponge is working on something to out do the new Playstation. this is going to be a very interesting console war Muhahahaha