Linux question

Thread: Linux question

Linux question

Ok, so i finally get some Burnable CDs, now...what the hell should i do? Mandrake Redhat and Debian Linux are the only distros of Linux i dont have alot of (meaning i have only one version or soo) So ...
    For Red hat Linux, what versions would you guys recommend?

7.3 seems good...
    what about 8.x? 9.x? What do you all think are the best features of these in your experiance?

Do any of you use mandrake? I normally use SuSe ONLY but i got some CDs and now its play time for gore. and that new GUI in madrake 9.1 looks bad ass.

Basically If you turn this into a flame war... good i wanna see your true feelings for the distro you use anyway sooo.

Lets here it.

(PS: I have 3 versions of Free BSD, 4.0 power pack, 4.7 and 5.0...and im not to keen on Net BSD or Open BSD because i want this downloadable and i dont feel like using Net BSD right now so thats why i stuck to Linux.)

Hmmm i just thought of something else... What other *NIX OSs do you all use? what ones are the best in your opinion?

I've got OpenBSD (3.3 maybe.. been a bit since I booted it) and Mandrake 8.1 on my system.... I really like the Mandrake install.. I'd prolly go newer if I had the time ... but I'm lazy and have the 8.1 CD so I always use it... It's always been good to me and I've never had any problems with it.... I used to be a big RedHat fan, but in the last few years I've switched over to Mandrake, I like it a lot better..... It just feels more comfortable at times.... There's my 2 cents.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Use the latest, unless your hardware is older and slower, and will not perform well with the
    later and fatter versions.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

It's a gas!
    RH 7.3 is probably the best RH release IMO.
    RH 8 and RH 9 use too many resources with there fancy GUI's and extra (unneeded) features.

I also have FreeBSD 4.8 installed on a spare box which is the dogs bollox, pity i dont get to use it much...

r3b007

Re: Linux question

Originally posted here by gore
    Do any of you use mandrake? I normally use SuSe ONLY but i got some CDs and now its play time for gore. and that new GUI in madrake 9.1 looks bad ass.
    man u have hurted my feeling for it...............i love Mandrake 9.1...what u feel is bad in it???

well as far as RH7.3 was a good release .... as stade earlier RH 8 & 9 consume a lot of space and also u dont have any Music with them.....
    but u know...Mandrake is the Best....
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

I like both Debian and RedHat

NullDevice, I think Gore was actually paying Mandrake a compliment if I am not mistaken.

I use Mandrake 9.1 and have stuck with Mandrake since version 8.0, the reason I stick with it is it does everything I want it to and it is the one I am most familiar and comfortable with, although I have a friend trying to sway me over to Gentoo ... maybe, maybe not, haven't decided yet as I have a very stable system at the moment and very happy with it.

PP.

It's a gas!
    Phat_Penguin: Ever hear the saying, If it works dont fix it

Nuff said!

Originally posted here by Phat_Penguin
    NullDevice, I think Gore was actually paying Mandrake a compliment if I am not mistaken.

I use Mandrake 9.1 and have stuck with Mandrake since version 8.0, the reason I stick with it is it does everything I want it to and it is the one I am most familiar and comfortable with, although I have a friend trying to sway me over to Gentoo ... maybe, maybe not, haven't decided yet as I have a very stable system at the moment and very happy with it.

PP.

hes right i was paying a compliment to them. But SuSE is my choice distro. As for donwloading. I downloaded:

Red hat 8
    Red hat 9
    Debian 3.0
    Slackware 8.1
    Slackware 9
    And mandrake 9.1

my Linux box is pretty well loaded.

Hd is big, lotsa RAM. and a good processor. So being GUI hungry is ok

Are these distros you're giving away? or going to actually use? I'm a bit confused...

help a brotha' out, eh?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]