Thread: Serial Number Question

Serial Number Question

Well I just have a question.. Well a couple of years ago I was searching for a serial number on the net for the WinZip program. Since I wanted to be able to use all of its features and I hated the annoying message of having to register it for evertime that I used it. After having searched for a lot of hours. I found a site in which I downloaded a text file which contained a Registration Name and Registration Number for the WinZip program. Well at that time I was 13 years old and couldn't purchase the program. Some of you are gonna say that's a lame excuse .. I tried the name and number to see if it would work. It did work .. I found it kinda weird that this name and number that I have even works for the newest version of WinZip... I do use the newest version and have purchased it. But I do keep the name and number stored, encrypted and saved on my hard drive and have never given it out to anyone ...
    I was wondering if anyone would like to comment on this .. To those of you that might think that I am lying well I am not ... My theory is that one of the programmers or ex-programmers hard-coded this info into the programming so that later on he could share this info with his friends so that they could use the program for free ... what do you guys think ???
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

In general, sometimes programmers, when they code in the registration algorithms, use the same one, now that is normally not the case, as the reason why new betas, and other version come out, is to change the registration algorithms due to someone getting the registration algorithm (thus the key generators you see running rampant).

Now this could be just a lucky occurrence or, it might actually be the same algorithm...I dunno, just my 2 cents
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

Agent,

I would tend to agree with disc0rd. It is most likely that WinZip has not bothered changing the registration algoritm which uses the registered name to work out the registration key.

They probably make enough money from companies paying for a site license that they don't need to bother making it hard for the occasional user finding a registration key on the Net.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Personally; I think its a crime to 'steal' software (or license numbers).

Others will argue that if software wasn't so expensive they would buy it. (you can rationalize
    anything if you want to) Lots of software has live demos.

I have (in the past) used 'borrowed' software; but cannot (and do not) do that anymore.

Some poor schmuck is writing code for a few bucks an hour.....I hope he gets paid for his efforts.

My 2cts worth

Hrm,

This is very similar to something I was discussing with another senior member.

Some software developers e.g Winzip and Nero do leave in these cracked registration numbers in.

I believe that this is so that lots of small users and companies will have this installed. When you think about it it makes sense.

A few pounds stolen from their pockets by small people means that they will be generating these zip files to use with their low bandwidth.

Now take my company. we have 500 + PCs and we have to have winzip on each one to allow each of our employees to open these zip files.

If the small time user with low bandwidth and limited space didn't use these why would we bother. we have 100mb leased lines and terrabytes of storage space.

Do you get what I mean ?

The same is true of some document comparison tools and Flash/MX etc. If no one on a small scale used it why would big businesses have it.

Thanks for your opinions guys for a second there I thought that I might get banned for posting something like this ... I was wondering could they use those cracked serial numbers to trace the people on the internet who are using them ?? The serials which have been out there for a long time ... Cause this info I got it a while back..
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

The Iceman Cometh
    WinZip has always stated that if you purchase their program, you are eligible for all future upgrades of WinZip. I was just looking for the information on the site, but I can't seem to find it. I've been using WinZip for years (since 3.2 if I remember right). Because of that, I've obviously been using the same serial number, but I've also made contributions to the company because I have always liked their product for extracting Zip files. So, even though I didn't have to pay more than once, I did because I felt it was the right thing to do, especially after using their program for as long as I can remember.

AJ