Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Reason" for Harddiskheadcrashes

"Reason" for Harddiskheadcrashes

hei peoplez

Ive started this topic because weve had a lot of Headcrashes in our class.
    I think i've get the reason, why our harddisk crashed.
    I've read, that downloadprograms like kazaa, DC++, imesh, soulseek and stuff like that are using always the same (physical) clusters on your harddisk to write the downloaded data on and then move it further to their loacation. We think that could be the possible reasons for our headcrashes, because only the "hardcore downloader" were hit by this problem and it's not a question of the brand. IBM, maxtor, traxdata.. 30 GByte, 120 Gigabyte.. raid, scsi, ide,... they all went down.
    The ones who are downloading with emule have/had no problem.

Wanna have some replays, if you get, got the same problem.

el gringo muerte

Head crashes is the result of the head hitting the hard disk itself. Usually when this happens is people move there computer when its starting up or shutting and causes the head to hit the disk.

The way the hard drive works is it spins at 7200 or 5400 RPM's (for IDE) and creates a pocket of air between it and the disk. The pocket of air is smaller than a pariticle of cigarette smoke. So if someone is banging on a computer really hard while its running it can cause a crash. Or if its first starting up when the head is speeding up to its speed, if someone moves it around hard it can cause a crash.

I think that that about right.
    =

hmm.. your're right but..

I think, I havent exactly specified the problem...
    for me a headcrash is if a HD blows up.. and you are right, that's not the same thing..
    so I have to redefine my answer:
    because of the downloadingstuff I wrote in the first post, the harddisk can blow up.. go to hell because of a mecanicaldefect..

so long
    the dude

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    So basically, it physically explodes in the face? with bits of shrapnel flying everywhere?

Or is it more a "primary disk failure" kind of concept?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

2 are blind, one is dumb... no

the raid systems smoked, the other made some noise and said good bye.. and others had a diskfailure.. nothing moves.. sad but true..

but my english is very bad.. so we cant come to the point..

have you, or your friends experienced some similar problems?
    and maybe if you had this problem, you might now know why it happens.. thank god.. or angus.. as ya like

your buddie from hell

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Are the power supplies the same? Are the Controllers the same?

I've never seen or heard of this from my students (who are very proficient about downloading).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

This sounds really weird, did you by chance get hit with a power spike?

Cheers:
    DjM

Yeah it almost sounds like you had a surge, or spike and it took care of your raid. Did it happen all at once?
    =

maybe youre right...

some men from outer space came, kidnaped me and made some experiments with me and my computer ahhhh.. you think it's not normal, that a complete antennasystem moves out my ******* everynight im sleeping (southpark, cartman) *smile*

the problem there.. I read about it... but I dont know where.. maybe on register.com
    and we had several experiences with this problem..

because of your answers, I think you didnt, do not have a problem..
    so its fine!!! we are 23 people and 6 harddisk blow ups in 1/2year...
    and we are not in australia, where dead animals lie in our pc and make it overheating... *another senseless tut posted on antionline*

if I would belief mr George W. Bush, maybe Osama or Saddam were in my pc and did some terrorism to me..
    *oh no, oh no.. i have fear.. please CIA help me*

stay tuned..
    your dude from hell..

Banned
    ok now you really make no sense to me ... *reading the post for the 5th time* ... still doesnt make sense .....

To the head, the platter seems to be moving at about 150 mph, and a very thin cushion of air forms between the head and the platter so that the head "flies" over the platter. If even the smallest bit of dust makes its way onto the platter, the flight is disrupted and the head "crashes" into the platter, scratching it. The crash, of course, sprays a lot more dust and debris onto the platter and then it's all over.
    somethin like this ?? i dont think it's caused byt using kazaa or any other p2p..since well most of the people on this planet use p2p applications... and no one either here at AO or from the popel i know had a HardDrive blow up before.....