Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hacking Exposed" Chat (with our own Tony Bradley) -- June 12, 8pm to 10pm

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking "Hacking Exposed" Chat (with our own Tony Bradley) -- June 12, 8pm to 10pm

I was hoping this would have ended up on our Security News banner (that or we need an "announcements" type thingy).

FYI for all those interested:

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/se...le.php/2219221

"Hacking Exposed" Chat
    June 9, 2003
    By Enterprise IT Planet Staff

What if you could pick the brains of the security experts responsible for the Hacking Exposed series of books? That's exactly the opportunity About.com's Internet/Network Security Guide Tony Bradley is giving to security-minded admins on Thursday, June 12th.

"Hacking Exposed", currently in its 4th edition, is a well-regarded resource that examines the vulnerabilities that plague many networks and spotlights the tools and techniques often used by "black hat" hackers. The popular book has even spawned OS-specific variants for Linux and Windows 2000.

Certainly, this type of publication is not without its controversy. However, judging from the mostly glowing reviews at Amazon.com, network admins generally appreciate the candid discussion on the mindset of a hacker. In "exposing" the tricks of the trade, the authors delve into areas of network security eschewed by most best practices books.

Mr. Bradley, the About.com Guide responsible for educating IT professionals on network security, is extending an invitation to a chat with two out of the three authors, George Kurtz and Stuart McClure.

Co-author George Kurtz is the CEO of Foundstone, a security software provider. Stuart McClure is the firm's President/CTO. Aside from writing, both are speakers in security events. Joel Scambray (not participating in the chat) is the book's other co-author and is the Senior Director of MSN Security for Microsoft.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I think that thats a great idea!! That will be awesome!! Thankyou MsMittens, I am now logging in to chat .

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I was hoping this would have ended up on our Security News banner (that or we need an "announcements" type thingy
    In AO's defense, it DID get posted on the Security News box, but it didn't last long. It was featured on the Enterprise IT Planet site for almost a day before the Security News box finally updated and then they added some new headlines and the Hacking Exposed Chat story got cycled off of the list.

I am looking forward to the chat and I hope we get a good turnout and some good discussion.

Thanks for posting this to make sure the AO community has a chance to participate.

Well, I am sure it's me (I don't visit chat rooms), but when I try and connect I get an error:

#Lobby :Cannot join channel (+j) - Members only

Am I doing something wrong? (sorry for the chat newbie question)

Cheers:
    DjM

I can't vouch for the About.com chat engine much. The logging in seems very un-intuitive.

For starters, you go to this link: http://netsecurity.about.com/mpchat.htm

Click on "Log on to Chat"

Leave it as "Guest" and enter your birth date and click Connect

Another screen comes up almost just like the first but without the birth date fields- click Connect again

You should now be in the Internet / Network Security chat room.

Supposedly you can use any nickname you want instead of just "Guest" but when you do it seems to ask for a password without having ever given you the chance to create one. It is easier to leave it as Guest.

The chat with the Hacking Exposed authors is from 8pm to 10pm tonight. Hope to see you there. Feel free to PM me if you have any problems logging in.

8 pm... EST? doesn't matter i will be at work anyway
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

8 pm... EST? doesn't matter i will be at work anyway

Speaking of which, would it be possible and/or permissible to post a transcript for those who are less fortunate and not able to get there at that time?

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I will be capturing the transcript and will either post it here or at least post a link to it for those unable to attend.

Question

Where will the transcript be posted - on this thread??

10 Minutes Until The Chat Session!

That makes good sense. I will post the transcripts or a link to the transcripts on this same thread so they are easy to find.