Thread: Modem Troubles...

Exclamation Modem Troubles...

Hey, I'm running Mandrake9, using a US Robotics PCI 56k internal (non winmodem) modem. I dual boot (using Windows, though) with the same modem, and it works perfectly fine.

I have the com ports setup correctly and everything.

But when I try to dialout to my ISP. I get this message:

"Looking for modem..."
    "Sorry, modem is busy."

Logs tell me nothing, and resetting the modem does nothing. What could be the problem?

- Any help would be appreciated.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Is this when you are using Mandrake ? if so try an ifdown ppp0 command it might remove the modem.lock file (mine is LCK..modem - Mandrake 9.1) which is generally stored in the /var/lock/ directory.

This file stops the modem getting loaded again once it intiated I believe - and if the shut down process isn't done properly it may leave this file there causing this problem ...

If its with with Windows I am not too sure (not too familiar with dual boot systems), but try looking for this file, remove it and try again - the system might just "think" the modem is up.

Hope I understood your question properly and this helps.

PP

Phat_Penguin: thanks, i'll try what you suggested in a bit. And no, the problems only occur in Mandrake. In Windows its perfectly fine.

, any more suggestions?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Do you have call waiting

if you do have call waiting you have put *70. I don't know if this will help. but it worth a shot
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

WebCarnage ... I take it that didn't fix it ....being on holidays I have had a bit of time to snoop the web for you and this is looking very familiar, I hope this points you in the right direction and gets you up and running ...... but I will keep looking.

----------Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 9:18 PM
    To: ale@ale.org
    Subject: Re: [ale] Need Advise

I think the most common problem that i've come across have been with the /dev/<name> on some systems it's /dev/ttyS1 on others is /dev/modem on some it was /dev/cua<something> .
    whatever dialer you are using you need to make sure that it is pointing at your hardware correctly.

On Friday 24 May 2002 19:12, you wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this is not the correct forum for my question. I'm a newbie to Linux, and enjoying the freedom from Microsoft. I just installed Mandrake 8.1 in my old PC (Acer Aspire) AMD K6, 233 Mhz, 128 RAM, 6 gig hard drive. Everything is working great,
    except for the modem (. . . it's not a Winmodem). The entire machine is running on Linux (Mandrake 8.1). I took out entirely the previous OS, Windows 98.

I'm getting a "modem is busy" signal, every time.

The phone line is working, and the modem is new. The modem is a U.S. Robotics 56K, PCI, 90/V92, internal, model 5610B. It is advertised as Linux compatible.

So far I've tried the following:

1-checked the true address of the serial port by comparing what I see with the command lspci and setserial. Both addresses are the same.

2-Checked the IRQ, and it's the correct one

3-Checked BIOS and disabled plug-n-play.

4-re-installed Mandrake

5-moved the card to another PCI slot

I'm running out of options, and would appreciate any advise.

Thanks,

EN
    You might find this site of interest too, list all the compatible pci modems for linux, just scroll down to the US Robotics section and check them out;

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/pci_list.html

Cheers and if anything else springs to mind I will post.

PP