Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP SP1 Pro Problem.....

Unhappy Windows XP SP1 Pro Problem.....

I have windows XP SP1 Pro installed in my computer, but if I shut down my Computer through power button, then the computer will shut down properly, I mean its shut down follow the steps.

The problem is when I power on my computer, my computer cannot detect the CD inside the CD-ROM Drive, every time I'm insert the CD, the CD-ROM drive no respond, even I check the CD through My Computer, its said there is no CD inside.

This is the third time I'm having this problem and I have to reinstall my Windows again...

Can anybody tell me how to resolve this problem without reinstall the Windows again....

[blur]JohnHACK needs help again...[/blur]

The Iceman Cometh
    Uh, first of all, I wouldn't recommend turning off your computer with the power button. Typically, turning off your computer that way does not halt all processes properly, causing services to hang when you restart your computer. In order to figure out what the problem is, check out the Event Viewer Log (found under Administrative Tools). Next time you power on your computer, check the Event Log and see if any services had problems starting up. Also, are you certain that all of the cables are connected properly inside your computer.

AJ

What is your system setup. What kind of CD-ROM drive do you have and what kind of CD do you put in your CD-ROM drive?

Please be more specific maybe then we can help you.
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499

cleanbash, my system is:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
    Epox Motherboard 8 KHA+
    Maxtor Hard Disk
    Kingston DDR 512MB
    Aopen CD-ROM 56x
    TDK CD-Writer 48x
    Windows XP SP1 Professional

got idea?

I am almost positive that the problem is your cd drive or the connection. A few computers that I had to fix had the same problem and it turned out it was a bad cd-drive not the system. Oh and in xp its ok to use the power buttn to turn off the computer as long as you have it set to shut donw instead of just cut power. There are options for it.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

From my notes: was planned for a service tutorial on another site..

When ever I encounter systems with any problems regarding the CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD etc..

1/ get a CD-lens cleaner and give the drives lens a clean

2/ In Device manager.. "remove" or "Delete" the drive and restart the system..

3/ While the machine is Off.. Reset the BIOS.. that is either using the motherboard jumper or remove the battery and wait...

4/ In the situation of recordable or re-writable drives check for firmware upgrades.. and install if available..

5/ Try the drive in another machine, and if available try another drive in the machine..(this may sound stupid)

6/ Check your cables, look for nicks in the insulation(note in Cable select setups one of the wires is cut), or a rough cut on the Plug head..ie shorts, or conductors in near contact.. not a short but a change in the capacatance on the cable.. Cable capacitance variations can cause some strange problems..

7/ If you or other users of the computer Smoke.. You, therefore, will have other problems .. or if you have wood burning stove or heater.. the rosin/tar can coat the Laser collimating lens rendering it useless.. see my first comment on cleaning.. though tar/rosin will not be cleaned off using a normal cleaner..

With in one of these steps you will most likley result with the answer to your problem
    (pse Note: didn't spell cheque this lot)

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Have you tried a few different CD's in the drive, as in format. A data CD, audio CD, etc? Yeah there really isn't much to test out with CD-ROMs, which can be nice or a pain. Clean it, then if that doesn't work disconnect it and reconnect the power and IDE cables. Other tests you can do is take the ROM out of your computer and try it in another, and/or take another ROM and try it in your computer.

If this has happened before, but started working, it might just be something physically loose inside the CD-ROM itself (had that happen before). Or it could just simply be a sign that you may need to go get a new drive. Though they are hardly that expensive anymore.

Just a thought...
    ~ AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

what cd are you putting in the drivee and which of your two drives is failing?
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

I think AciDriveHB gave you some good suggestions. I've had this problem too with my DVD-ROM drive. It can't read some cd's from a specific manufacturer. If you want a really good CDRW-DRIVE try a plextor I've never had problems with a plextor.
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499

Oh.. didn't add the comment.. (I missed your listing of hardware)
    What happens if you disconnect the other Optical device.. (assuming they are on the same IDE Cable)
    Thanks lord_darkside_x for reminding me of this..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr