Thread: FreeBSD 5.1 Release

FreeBSD 5.1 Release

Hi guys/girls,
    As you guys know I always upgrade my OS (one of my security reason) and I just installed FreeBSD 5.1 Release on my second laptop and I am quiet happy with the result (I am still keeping FreeBSD 4.8.. the stable one).
    Freebsd 5.1 have "new stuff" including when you boot up your comp..you can choose to use single mode,disable ACPI (most of people have problem with ACPI turn on),etc..
    Anyway if you interested you can check out their link http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/announce.html

Cheerss

Annya

Ps: I posted my FreeBSD 5.1 R desktop if you guys wanna see it (I've been watching DVD movie "atlantis the lost city" )
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Just Another Geek
    Thanks for the heads up.

This would also mean the new stable (RELENG_5) is getting closer to release
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Guys,
    One problem I've noticed in 5.1 is they've removed support for my NIC . I've gone back to 4.8 for now (had to rebuild box due to security breach). I hope they fix this in the 5.0-5.1 production release

Have ya built world yet sweet angel? I some people are havin probs with it . It could be a good excuse to start over so you can take advantage of the new ufs2 file system. I put a clean install on my goof around drive and its good . I am eagerly awaiting stable, which should be out fairly soon ,around 5.2 according to the plans.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

One problem I've noticed in 5.1 is they've removed support for my NIC . I've gone back to 4.8 for now (had to rebuild box due to security breach). I hope they fix this in the 5.0-5.1 production release
    Have you check out their http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R...are-i386.html? or you might need to send your NIC problem to http://www.freebsd.org/support.html and hopely will be fix on 5.2 stable one.

Originally posted here by lumpyporridge
    Have ya built world yet sweet angel? I some people are havin probs with it . It could be a good excuse to start over so you can take advantage of the new ufs2 file system. I put a clean install on my goof around drive and its good . I am eagerly awaiting stable, which should be out fairly soon ,around 5.2 according to the plans.
    Yes I had buildworld, I've done mergemaster , I don't have have problem with builworld so far..and I am still play around with it, look like FreeBSD 5.1 have alot of changes, I haven't try new ufs file system yet..but I will try that when I have time..thanks for that tip

cheerrs