Thread: how do i low level format?

Blast From the Past

Question how do i low level format?

I hav couple of hdd's 1 2gig quantam fireball ide
    2 laptop hdd's 1 814megs 1 20gig and i can not get the computer to recognize any of them so my friends dad who works in IT at our local airport said to low level format them but i hav not the slightest idea ware to begin
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Usually the manufacturer of the HD will provide a diskette w/ their utilities on it that would perform a low level format. . .if you don't have the disks try their website, you should be able to d/l them. .hmmmm, actually in this case I think you would have to try Maxtors website, I just googled Quantum and all they're doing is tape now. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I hav couple of hdd's 1 2gig quantam fireball ide
    If many drives fail, wouldn't it be plausible that not the drives are the cause of the error but somethign else? The controller, the cabling,... Did they work on another box?
    low level format is always of last resort when you encounter problems
    source: disk-utility.com and I completly agree with them.
    The tool you need is PowerMax, this works on all Maxtor / Quantum drives bigger than 500MB it can test and low level format those drives. It's usefull when your box does not recognize a disk.
    the link to the tool: http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Dead Man Walking
    My advice on low leveling a hdd is that if you have to ask how you probably shouldnt. Not trying to be a dick but 1) it doesnt sound like a problem love leveling will fix 2) If your freinds dad sugested it ask him if he will either do it for you or help you out. With it being multiple drives i would say its either in the OS or the ide controller not the drive its self.

Did you check the jumper settings and the bios. There could be a update for the bios. A warning though if you do flash the bios be very careful while doing it.

Blast From the Past
    thanks all but the quantum hdd i pulled from a power mac and both the laptop hdd's were good for a while then when i took them out to put in another laptop it said I/O error so i put them back into the orgional laptop and it wouldnt reconize it

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Use the powermax tool, you can try to recognize the drives with it and test the drives on several things (like bad blocks, I/O probs,...) and if necessary low level format them.

Blast From the Past
    Im using it now and it seems to be going good
    thanks all for ur help