Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: find smc bridge IP with its MAC address???

The router comes with a utility which is NOT web based for configuring the AP. http://www.smc.com/drivers_downloads...82W_FWv130.zip

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

I'd like to point out that I have an SMC router and the switch on the back is indeed for resetting to factory settings, but if you only hit it for a second then it will reboot and forget recent changes, to reset it completely you have to hold the switch for 5+ seconds... just a thought...
    They are smart enough to realise that it may not always be possible to log in with an IP hence giving you the ability to restore factory defaults that way. Unless of course there is a console port on it somewhere... is this a home or corporate bridge?

Edit:
    So I just read the users manual for your switch, amazingly there's a console port on it so if you can't use the windows utility, which was also mentioned in there, to find the ip via scanning for it then you can plug in directly and just set everything up...
    http://www.smc.com/drivers_downloads...MC2482W_MN.pdf
    You'll find the troubleshooting section on page 47 of the document
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

ahh...guys...its a wireless bridge...not a switch or router...its a bridge. its got a ethernet port and antennas...and a reset button. no console adapter (or else i wouldnt be here). thanx for ur help though...i wish ur answer would work...i was lookin for a console port too. :-/

deftones12 :
    i'd like to clarify my mind:
    - u have a WAP (you own it, right)
    - that bridge does not have any consol port (that's wierd, r u sure its 802 compliant)
    - u'd like to find out the management IP of the WAP

here come some solutions:
    - Brut force: Scan IP addresses range with NMAP. u could start with 192.0.0.0/8 or 10.0.0.0/8
    - To find out an arp entry related to the bridge, that's require the WAP to generate an ARP request somewhere.
    So the question is when does a bridge generate streams.
    BPDUs are layer frames only there is no ARP generation (GARP, GVRP, EAPOL, SPT,...)

To me there is only 2 ways to intercept the IP:
    1- there is 802.1x process implemented. When a challenge occur the Radius stream is like a tunnel between the authenticator(WAP) and the authentication Server(RADIUS server). Sniff that and u'll get an WAP IP (be aware that's IP may be filtered to forbid any mgt requests.)

2- A snmp manager had been configured into the WAP, on event it will trap some stuff to the manager. Sniff the network or keep a close eye to the CAM table after event will give u the management IP add.
    With that method u assume that a snamp manager had been configured!
    The good question is: What kinda event are trapped? Commonly duplicates IP are trapped by bridges. So connect 2 laptops with same IPs and watch.
    It didn't work: Try duplicate MAC addresses, to do that u'll need amac address spoofer like dsniff.
    If their is no 802.1x running or any SNMP manager keep trying the brut force method!

Does that answer to ur question?
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

If there is no console port then are you sure it's even that model? And I wasn't claiming it was a router I was just saying that since it's the same company that there's a possibility that reset buttons would act the same.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

even though i didnt follow all ur ideas networker it sounds like a good idea lol. So plug 2 laptops into the switch and then plug the bridge into the switch also and configure the 2 laptops to have the same IP? Earlier i tried somethign with the same IP's but the laptops wont let me put same IP's...thats the windows utility though. Should i use a IP spoofer? I'll search for dsniff and try the MAC idea also...thanx for all ur help!!!

deftones12:
    an IP spoofer won't work because the switch don't care about IPs, it cares only about layer 2 mac addresses and ARP. So u need to generate 2 ARP with 2 mac addresses but one IP.

To do that u can configure 2 laptops (I don't undertstand how windows can forbid that IP configuration) or use an ARP spoofer like dsniff http://naughty.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/
    dsniff works on linux (don't know for M$) and I don't know if its compatible with Wireless interface.

For the 2 laptop matter maybe windows have an alogorythm based on the internal ARP table seeing when an MAC/IP association exist => forbid the IP config.
    U can try to disconnect the PC from the network, then flush the arp entry
    (for M$ arp -d <IPaddy>) and then configure the duplicate IP(it worth a try).
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]