Thread: Critical vulnerability in Internet Information Server v. 5

Banned

Critical vulnerability in Internet Information Server v. 5

This week several security organizations reported a newly discovered vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Information Server version 5.0. This is the version of IIS which is included - and by default installed - in Windows 2000.

Microsoft has rated this vulnerability as Critical. Several other security organizations have sent out special alerts.
    Interesting read : http://www.norman.com/security_info/security.shtml

Just Another Geek
    This is old news. Even the newspage you refer to is about 2 months old.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Banned
    oh my fault then ... i apologize .....

i clicked on the link Latest Security Issue ...though that was some kind of a new vulnerability...looks like the site was not update quiet a while ....

Just Another Geek
    Oh well we all have an off day every now and then

It is an important patch nevertheless!
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

While this is old news, there is a constant stream of security patches that are issued by Micorsoft. Anyone hoping to stay current needs a tool such as HFNetChk or HFNetChkLT (free) or a subsciption to the Micorsoft security update notification list to remain abreast of the latest. Further, discipline is needed to run them frequently and also not to apply the patches to whole systems until successful installation is verified on a non-production machine. I also subscribe to the Microsoft news groups for my operating systems, because someone will have already tried to apply the patch and discovered any problems with it.

I don't view this as a negative for Microsoft, since they are attempting to keep up with the threats, but there's no denying that maintaining a reasonably secure system and/or network is real work.