Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: find smc bridge IP with its MAC address???

find smc bridge IP with its MAC address???

hey i need some help. The only way u can reset this SMC2482w wireless bridge is with a web-utility that has difficulty understandin the latest firmware that i have. anyways...i've sniffed the wireless packets with ethereal and i've used netstumbler...all to come up with the bridge's MAC address...i cannot however find the IP which i need to connect through the web-utility to re-configure it. any suggestions? I've already tried sniffin the packets and goin through them to look for the IP. I thought it would be in the ARP packet for sure but no luck...only the MAC address. I know there has to be SOME way to find the IP with its MAC address...i didnt think it'd be this hard...and it shouldnt. Someone help please.

Are you using any managed switches? Checking out the ARP table on a switch should yield the results you need......

What type of equipment are you using in your network?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Angry IP Scanner can be used for this.

http://www.angryziber.com

Select MAC address as one of the output fields and then scan the network segment that you know it's on (or your entire range if you are unsure). You can even dump the output to a file and you can write a 3 second perl script to find the matching record.

Hope this helps!

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

nope...tried the IP scanner...and the equipment i'm using is the smc2482w wireless bridge...and my dell inspiron 8500 laptop with wireless card...and a ethernet hub 10mpbs...i tried the ARP table in the cmd prompt and it just came up with my own IP computer...here is a screenshot.

actually i dunno 'bout the perl script...sure it will work? i'm also runnin xp too...as u can prolly see in the screenshot

this is pretty bogus on SMC's part...u should be able to reset it physically and it goes to a default IP. They have it set up to where u can reset it physically but its only for temporary connectivity problems....i'm thinkin like wep encryption and the filters and stuff. The only way u can reset it to factory default is through the web utility which i cannot use.

Without managed switches, it makes it a little diificult.

Try - http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address.htm

It may be a possibility.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

nope...didnt work. We have several aironet bridges laying around but i wanna get this working...crap like this bothers me. There's gotta be someway to beat SMC's ignorance.

There is a reset switch on the back of the unit, which will reset the IP to factory deafult 192.168.2.55

Regards,
    Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

alright maestro...dunno if u didnt read the post good enough or what...but as i said earlier thats not the FACTORY reset...that is a reset to correct any TEMPORARY connectivity problems...the factory reset u have to do with a web based utility. Cmon...someone has to know. Anyone smart enough to figure a way to do it? It shouldnt be that hard...anyone know how to figure out an IP with a bridge's MAC address????

cmon...anyone know? i know there r smart enough people to figure this out...if not does anyone even know of a program that finds the IP address of a MAC address???

I'm not familiar with bridges, so I'm going to ask a question first: does the bridge handle the DHCP? If so, then the ip is probably 2.2.2.3 (after looking at the screenshot)
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"