Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: indetectable virus

Blast From the Past

Angry indetectable virus

i got 4 viruses from kazaa in 2 days (downloading kazaa was problem in the first place) norton 2002 got rid of 3 of them but using norton after a while it will get to a file then the screen will go blank and i cant get it back up so i reboot then it freezes so i boot again and its fine, i run it again scanning a file at a time but cant find it. i think it was in with the screensaver cause my computer would stop working after it turned on and this virus also messed with my motherboard because at first my computer would just reboot with out warning, so i took the restart button out of my tower then it would just shutdown especially when i started running anti-virus its really starting to piss me off any ideas other then reformat cause i wanna save that for last resourt thanks i advance for ur input

AO Part Timer
    Your first problem is kaaza. Secondly we don't have enough information. Even if I wanted to help you I can't. I don't know what OS you're using. I'm assuming Windows, Norton gave that away.
    Please refer here, read this thread . Then try again.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Blast From the Past
    amd xp 2000
    win 98se
    maxtor 12 gig hdd
    kt400 fire dragon made by soyo
    dvd/cd-r drive 8X dvd 40X cd
    cd-rw drive 20X write/ 12X rewrite/ 48X read
    zip 100 drive
    floppy drive 3.5"
    my computer started rebooting/ shutting down/ only working every other boot (that told me virus not motherboard) freezing with blank screen when i use a screensaver (3D text screensaver) happened after i downloaded items from kazaa ( dl'ing kazaa bad idea) i prefer not to tell the items i ran norton 2002 but only got 3 out of the 4 i know there is another virus even tho norton cant find it cause of the boot pater and the shutdown rate is at a max of 10 min's example screensaver set at 5 min actaviate it shuts down in 5 min if set over 10 min it will shut down at 10 min
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

AO Part Timer
    Okay. That helps a bit. Is norton updated? How much ram do you have. What are your resources like after a clean boot, and is the box fully updated?
    -Tiger Shark

Are nortons signiture files up to date?

try running the system file checker: start>>run>>SFC
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Blast From the Past
    i hav 512 megs ddr pc2700 ram
    norton viri def's are up to date
    if u mean comp by box then yes its a month or less old built it my self

o yea my resources are 80%
    running norton auto protect
    weather cast
    aim

when i run sys file checker it freezes

at 8:12 my time my computer just recived the blue screen of death i didnt hav enough time to see it but i did catch the file extenion vxd i think it was then i had a black screen so i rebooted and then i had the same messed up boot pattern of it freezes every other time it loads so i rebooted again and it boots up and my recycle bin is full so i go to see what was in it cause when i was last on it was empty i open it and my computer restarts once again with the messed up boot pattern (it freezes when i hav typed in my passowrd it starts loading then it stops) its really starting to piss me off

My best advice would be to get ahold of another AV program and try another scan. I have heard of virii that can hide from/alter Norton. Plus, another AV program may catch something that Norton didn't. If all else fails, go to a professional. Ask around to find the best. Where I live, St. Pete Florida, the best computer tech has a small office above an oriental supermarket. It smells, but the service is worth it.

Viruses are not my forte though. All I can tell you is what I've heard. The virus could be anywhere.

If you get the blue screen of death again, write down the vxd and post it if possible.

Stay away from Kazaa. It's a technological incarnation of satan.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

AO Part Timer
    Alright do this for me go here
    and follow the instructions. But of course do this from a clean computer. Make your rescue disks now.
    Step two is gonna tell you to use a clean pc anyway. So install your 2002 Norton onto another Pc. Then follow the aforementioned methods.
    However a step left out is to filp that little switch on your freshly made clean resuce disk and write protect them. If the disk is in the pc and you succesfully follw the above steps then the disks are not write protected and you should flip the switch now. Just for clarification purposes of course.

Now go here and make a stratup disk for win98. This is assuming that you have a machine running a clean version of win 98. Let's assume for the sake of argument that you do not have one. Then you will need to take your win98 installation cd to another pc and follow these instructions and try and trouble shoot it from a command line. Now be sure and copy protect that disk also.

Assuming you've made it this far, you've paid attention to what I've told you and you follow instructions very we'll. Now we need to visit your bios real quick on the infected pc. We are going to disable the hard disk and the cd from the post process. I could not find information on your mother boards bios so, your gonna have to hack it to find your boot sequence. Find it and please refer to the aforementioned methods.

Now boot with your bootdisk. If I remember the win98 boot disk you should have the fdisk command. type something to the effect of fdisk /mbr c:. I don't remember to be honest with you. Windows is screwy anyway. Once you get that command to work. It may or may not recognize some virus like activities. Either way it should dump the Master Boot Record. Now reboot again on the startup disk. And follow the instructions on the Norton Resuce disks.

Granted this may not help if the virus is newer than your 2002 viral strings out of the box. But **** at this point, all ou've got is a really big paper weight.

I hope this helps. Be safe and stay free..

[joke]P.S. You'll get a bill in your inbox.
    [/joke]
    Oh one more thing reset your bios to as was.
    -Tiger Shark

Blast From the Past
    thanks for ur help all but it was too late
    i tried to check it out but it had edited it's self to the program i use the most starcraft and when i ran it my compputer died then my processor overheat alarm went off so i went in to bios to see what my settings were and my fan was turned off and i couldn't change it cause the virus wrote to my bios so i flashed it and now its all gone and its all ok im NEVER downloading kazaa again

AO Part Timer
    I will speak for myself when I say this. I am glad to see you learned your lesson. It is just unfortunate that you didn't see all the warnings put in front of you. What good is visiting a site like this if people don't actually edgucate themselves. To say you visit a security site? The only way you will ever learn anything is to READ. Not watching a vid cam rip from kaaza.
    -Tiger Shark