anonymous......multiproxy......huh?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anonymous......multiproxy......huh?

anonymous......multiproxy......huh?

Ok, I'm kinda drunk now, but this has defeated me all day....
    I was searching another web site today, which had a tutorial on hiding your internet address. The author recommended an anonymous multiproxy website(http://www.multiproxy.org/). The tutorial was well written and appeared like it was a knowledgable person writing the piece. So I went to the site, downloaded the program(including the "proxy list"). Loaded the proxy list to the folder I was going to use because....."(you will need to manually import this list into MultiProxy through Options|Server List|Import List)",(BUT IT DOESN"T SAY WHY.), then downloaded and installed the program. I went to my internet settings, activated proxy user, dutifully typed in 127.0.0.1 as the....well hell, I quote, "Use Proxy Server box-- enter proxy address (127.0.0.1) and port (8088), click OK, click on the next OK. ", went to the advanced tab, and....... "You must also uncheck the "Use HTTP 1.1" and "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" checkboxes in the Advanced tab of Internet Options."
    This is pretty much my way of completely cutting myself off of the internet. I lose all connection. So what am I doing wrong? I have windows xp - internet explorer 5. It simply doesn't work. The websites FAQ's and troubleshooting/problems address nothing along these lines. I lose all connection to the internet if I select proxy.
    And why do they give me a long list of proxy servers? I tried those IPs for my proxy and still no connection. But the guy stressed that I you only needed to type in 127.0.0.1 for an IP. Why do I need that list of proxys?
    Thank you for any ideas on what I may be screwing up.
    OWW
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

If you type 127.0.0.1 into the box as the proxy address then whats gonna hapen is you computers gonna go through your computer to get to the internet. lol. In other words 127.0.0.1 is and IP address of your computer. You can't do anything with that IP address other than make sure your NIC is working.

If I want to use a proxy I go to www.google.com and type public proxies, then I go to a web page. ON that web page it will give me a list of IP's which are the proxy servers, along with a port number that the proxy server is on for instance xxx proxy IP 192.168.0.1 Port 8080. Then what you do is go to Properties in Internet explorer---connections--lan setinngs---then check use a proxy. At that point you type the IP of the proxy server and the port number in. Then ok and ok. Connect to the internet however you normally do. Whenever you pull up a web page it will have to go throught the proxy.

In other words. type in 127.0.0.1 wont do anything to help you connect to the net.

I think I got that right. corect me if I'm wrong
    =

one thing about those lists of "public" proxy servers...

ideally you should get permission from the administrators before using them. some of them may indeed be intended for public use, but many of them are open to the public because of incorrectly configured config files. if an admin sees your ip address in the logs accessing his proxy, he may fire off some angry emails to your isp...

just a heads up...

*sigh* Look, I know that 127.0.0.1 is supposed to be every pc's natural IP. That didn't make sense to me, but the website(and I provided a link to it for people to check out) said several times to use that IP.
    Also, most proxy servers are not anonymous. They will simply forward your IP to wherever you go, thereby defeated the entire point. So why would I search for proxies on Google?
    What I need to know is:
    Why would that website stress several times to use the generic 127.0.0.1 IP?
    Why does it provide and tell you to manually import their list of anonymous proxies but not explain why?
    AND has anyone gone to this website and made it work?
    Thanks,
    OWW
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

127.0.0.1 is reserved for the loopback function.

It is a good idea to configure your server to ignore all packets sent to it from localhost or 127.0.0.1, so as to protect it from DOS attacks.

Source: Chapter 5 Page 74 The Unofficial Guide To Ethical Hacking. Ankit Fadia

Banned
    as an addition:

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address (but we already know that) It's used to test the network adapter (aka NIC/eth0) basically if you cannot connet to the network the first thing you should do is "ping 127.0.0.1"

To FrameWork:

what you quoted doesn't make any sense to me how can blocking the 127.0.0.1 save you from DOS ... if anyone out there tires to DOS 127.0.0.1 (which is non-routable) they gonna basically DOS their own NIC (it will be kind of hard w/ ICMP packets because NIC's are fast; try to ping 127.0.0.1 - I get 0.0 ms...BUT it guess it could be done w/ TCP by flooding the connection cue for a particular service (because of the timeout wait))

can anyone try to block 127.0.0.1 on their Linux IPchains... i got only windows from where i'm typing this post

If i'm correct, Fadia was referring to spoofing that address. Someone correct me if im wrong.

I couldn't tell why he said to use 127.0.0.1 as the IP. I was able to pull the web page up but There was only 3 messages about updating the page, a new server, and a new version. Nothing else. I didn't see any links for information.\

Also if you go to www.freepublicproxies.com There is a list of proxies there.

It tells you if the proxy is transparent, or anonymous, and where they are located.
    =

Thanks cheyenne1212! That was helpful. I've read the instructions on older posts about IPs to use but they didn't work. But the link you gave me actually have ones that work. My webserver thinks I'm in Germany and sent me to Google.de with all german language. Plus all the IP checkers on the internet can't determine my real IP.
    Much appreciation.
    OWW
    Carrie Fisher

No problem.
    =