Thread: Changin Hard Drive

Changin Hard Drive

Hi. If I have virus and trojans and stuff on my laptop and I change the hard drive, will I still have to trojans and viruses on my laptop? Or if I restore my laptop to its original factory settings, will that cleats the viruses and stuff off of my laptop?

Hi. If I have virus and trojans and stuff on my laptop and I change the hard drive, will I still have to trojans and viruses on my laptop? Or if I restore my laptop to its original factory settings, will that cleats the viruses and stuff off of my laptop?
    If you went out and bought a hdd you'd definately be rid of it. You can restore your box to its original settings clean of viruses as long as your restore disk isnt infected also. Cheers.

Remote_Access_
    “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Originally posted here by Remote_Access

If you went out and bought a hdd you'd definately be rid of it. You can restore your box to its original settings clean of viruses as long as your restore disk isnt infected also. Cheers.

Remote_Access_

Never use the word definately.... The HDD is only going to clear virus's that reside on the HDD... it has nothing to do with virus's that drop themselves into the BIOS..

What is Bios? I'm not really familiar with computer terms.

BIOS is what run's your computer before it gets to windows, LINUX or whatever your OS is. You can over clock your CPU from there (but don't), look how hot your computer/CPU is running, see how many volts your CPU is running, your time, Date, what your computer will read first as your back-up,and just things to that matter. To get to your BIOS right when you computer boots hit Del (this is a black sreen right before you start your windows, what it does is it checks your memory and things like that) after that you will enter your BIOS hehe.

NOTE: It's a blue sreen.

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

The last bad out break of a BIOS virus was CIH. The virus attacks only Windows 95 and Windows 98 systems so if you have a *nix box you dont have to worry about it. For more information and a solution to CIH/Chernobyl visit here. Some bios vendors like award have built in bios antivirus software for such reasons. More than likely it's not a bios virus. If you're still able to boot your PC, try to get some antivirus software installed so you can remove it. If you can't, back up all your important data and restore your box.

Here are a few tutorials on BIOS.
    BIOS info page
    BIOS FAQ
    BIOS Diagnostic codes

Enjoy.
    “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

if you can boot your windows box (that i think it is) you should get online and grab an antivirus I know this links have been around al lot here in AO you could try something like:
    http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm a free antivirus
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm online antivirus
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ online scanner
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...SIVFWMFKPXKBQW and also an online scanner

hope that will help you
    cheers
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

Why would you want virus's and trojans, etc. get them cleaned off and install a good antivirus program.. all the previous posts have pretty well defined hoiw to clean that stuff off. If you are running wide open, then you are going to reived every bumch of junk that is floating around out there.

remote_access I remember CIH well, cost me my mobo..

the BIOS was completely NULL-ified

Well the new mobo was good afterall, I finaly could use PC100 memory instead of the 66mhz stuff..

But virii that spread via BIOS.. NFW !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !