Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing IP Address

Changing IP Address

Hi. Does anyone know how I can change the IP Address of my computer? Recently, I've had security warnings telling me that an outside source is trying to access my computer. It has happened 4 times this month and the IP Addresses of the attackers were all different and from everywhere in the US. I heard of people saying that changing the IP Address of my computer was possible to where the attacker doesn't know what it is. There must be a program or something that makes changing IP Address possible.

I'd suggest you go and read up on IP addressing and how it works....

http://support.wrq.com/tutorials/tutorial.html
    http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/infra..._US/501302.pdf

There are two way's that IP addresses are assigned.. either static or dynamic. If you have a static IP address, then the only way you are changing it is to call your ISP and ask to have it changed... if you have a dynamic IP then everytime you connect to the internet you are assigned a (most likely) different IP using DHCP...

I wouldn't be too concerned about the connection attempts/attacks. There are tons of script kiddies out there who sit and scan and attack random hosts by hitting entire address ranges, you just happen to be in that range.. Just keep an eye on them, and what they are doing, make sure your box is secure (lots of info here on that) and everything will be ok.

I thought an IP Address was an assigned address to the computer when it was manufactured and not by the ISP. What type of protection should I get against these attacts and viruses and things?

you're kind of confused.

There are two basic types of address, IP and MAC. Both of these are independent from your computer. MAC address are assigned by the manufacturer to the NIC (network interface card), and cannot be changed. These are actually burned onto a ROM chip on the network card. The IP address is a layer 3 address, that has the ability to be changed. Computers usually have two IP address though, an internal, for use on the local lan, usually a class C with a 192.168.0.xxx, and an external address, used to view your computer from the 'internet'. The internal address can be whatever you want, but the external is supplied by your ISP. HTRegz gave some good links and tips as too how this works.

If you have winxp here's how to change your ip:

Click start>my network places> view network connections

Right click on Local Area Connection and click properties (if you have a bridge, you'll right click on the bridge and go to properties.)

In the properties menu, in the box that says "This connection uses the following items:"
    click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP and then click properties.

The obtain ip adress automatically tab is probably pressed, change it to Use the following IP.
    type in any numbers for your ip but for the subnet mask, use 255.255.255.0

And thats it.

Forgot to add, this is just for changing your LAN ip, it won't effect your net adress. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone please.
    With what weapons World War Three will be fought, I do not know, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones.
    -Albert Einstein

Originally posted here by 0ri0n
    If you have winxp here's how to change your ip:

Click start>my network places> view network connections

Right click on Local Area Connection and click properties (if you have a bridge, you'll right click on the bridge and go to properties.)

In the properties menu, in the box that says "This connection uses the following items:"
    click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP and then click properties.

The obtain ip adress automatically tab is probably pressed, change it to Use the following IP.
    type in any numbers for your ip but for the subnet mask, use 255.255.255.0

And thats it.

Forgot to add, this is just for changing your LAN ip, it won't effect your net adress. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone please.
    Yeah that'd work for changing your ip, but like you said only your internal IP address and he (she?) is talking about an external IP address. Also I'd just like to point out that it isn't always Local Area Connection... I have 5 Local Area Connections on my XP box and LAC2 is my LAN and LAC5 is my Internet connection.

Old Fart
    The IP address that is "seen" on the internet is assigned to you by your ISP (assuming you are a home user) and technically can and should only be changed by them. Given that most ISPs assign dynamic IPs (as opposed to static IPs that never change) that change every few hours, what you are seeing is probably the result of someone scanning a "range" of IP addys that you just happen to be a part of. If your box is locked down with a good firewall and you keep a close eye on OUTGOING traffic you should be able to keep yourself safe. For piece of mind I would recommend getting a trojan scanner just to make sure that your machine has not already been compromised. www.moosoft.com and www.agnitum.com are the homes of "the cleaner" and "tauscan", both of which are excellent products with free 30 day trials.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Pardon me if I'm repeating, as I haven't read all the replies.

I think this guy is using a cable modem at home, and he's getting these broadcast messages. If this is the case, then turn of your Messenger service. If you're using Win98 or 95, you wont' be able to do this.

Otherwise you should use a personal firewall.....especially if you're using Win95 or 98.

Good luck bro.

Originally posted here by Sonics42ny
    Pardon me if I'm repeating, as I haven't read all the replies.

I think this guy is using a cable modem at home, and he's getting these broadcast messages. If this is the case, then turn of your Messenger service. If you're using Win98 or 95, you wont' be able to do this.

Otherwise you should use a personal firewall.....especially if you're using Win95 or 98.

Good luck bro.

I currently have Road Runner Cable internet access. I have a router and 3 computers, but the hacking alert has only showed up on one (windows XP). That one has just been rebuilt (Changed the motherboard and all that).

Old Fart
    I currently have Road Runner Cable internet access. I have a router and 3 computers, but the hacking alert has only showed up on one (windows XP). That one has just been rebuilt (Changed the motherboard and all that)

Then Sonics is right....you're probably getting spammed via the messenger built into XP (not the one for chatting with your friends) for network admins. Click Start ---> Control Panel ----> Administrative tools ---> Services. Find messenger on the list and disable it (it's probably set to automatic by default). That should stop the spam and give you some peace.

Hope this helps!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...