Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing IP Address

matrixlu :
    just an info. If you had been hacked, changing ur IP will probably change nothing (ever heard of zombies).
    net security is maybe not a great subject of interest 2 u, google zombie if u wanna leran more!
    To tell u simple things, when u r connected to the world wide web, generally ur ISP assigns u an IP address at each connection. So betwenn to connection ur IP may b different.
    So forget about it!

The real question is have u been infected: There are many cleaners or detection system available for free on the net. Have a look on AO archive forum & u'll find one.
    After that if u fell concern about ur puter security u should think about firewall, IDS, logs etc, ... etc and participate on AO forum to learn.

godd luck
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Hey

I haven't read the full post haven't really got time. What i gathered though is you have a cable modem and want to change your IP. I don't know if this will work for you but some cable providers like mine if you reset your cable modem ie. unplug and replug it or turn the power on and off it will assign a new IP to you on boot up. This is of course assuming you have a dynamic IP.

Hope this helps
    Peter

Originally posted here by matrixlu

I currently have Road Runner Cable internet access. I have a router and 3 computers, but the hacking alert has only showed up on one (windows XP). That one has just been rebuilt (Changed the motherboard and all that).
    Is the IP on the local computers dynamicl assigned? If so then run IPconfig /release at the command line then IPconfig /renew.

This wont stop the hackers seeing that they have your routers IP...you can get that changed by talking to your cable provider.

That wont fix the issue eather, seeing that most cable routers run NAT they should be able t oget to your local machine directly unless you are doing port forwarding on your router(in which case turn it off) or you have a virus/torjan on that system...run a AV and trojan scan on your systme that should clear up the issues.

Originally posted here by pskyboy
    Hey

I haven't read the full post haven't really got time. What i gathered though is you have a cable modem and want to change your IP. I don't know if this will work for you but some cable providers like mine if you reset your cable modem ie. unplug and replug it or turn the power on and off it will assign a new IP to you on boot up. This is of course assuming you have a dynamic IP.

Hope this helps
    Peter
    Unfortunitly Dynamic isn't allways Dynamic. A lot of cable companies have DHCP setup to allways hand the same IP out to a systme every time they request a lease.

Here is something I have not seen anyone hit on after his/her last reply, most routers come with built in firewall. You should configure this to help protect yourself. It is usually not to hard to configure the built in hardware firewall and the instructions that came with the roughter should tell you how to log in. Even is you do not want to enable the HW firewall, you should at least login to your router and change the default password. This will block one hole in your security. Hope this info is helpfull...
    Chester

I'd like to contradict some of you... a dynamic IP address can be changed every so hours I believe, but it is usually when one dials back into the ISP [in the case of modem and xDSL connection]. I can't be sure of cable, I always knew those were static.

Also, the MAC address can be changed. I am not yet sure whether I hould post how this is to be done, but it can.

If your ISP is giving you a static IP, you are not allowed to change it by yourself, but you can. Again, I will not post the details of this procedure, but I have PMed somebody with the method I know of... If regulars think I can post these two methods, I will. [I read the FAQs, but I'm still looking around and getting used with everything]

cheers!
    /\\

If you are receiving Windows Messenger Service messages, Click Here to download an application that will disable it. This is a simple solution created by Steve Gibson of GRC.com.

If you are recieving all traffic on one system through your router, you may have that system assigned as the DMZ host in the firewall options. Assigning a DMZ host means all packets travel through the firewall to that designated address. If you want to utilize the built in firewall in your router, make sure you have no DMZ host assigned.

I know this post is a little out of date but, hypronix, could you post how to change a MAC address please, it has me very intrieged as I thought it was impossible to change.

I dont think you need to have any worrys about posting it dood!

Thanks!