Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer messed

Computer messed

Ok, i ran this program from some securitiy site i scanned it, found nothing. Now my computere berarly works takes 5 minutes to do simple task. Cant find anything tryed everything. So my question is i might format and put Linux in, im kinda scared if i put linux in it wont take my drivers for my built in video, and audio cards. Will my drivers work for linux too? Any info would be cool. Thanks
    Hacker dan

Banned
    Ok... let's start by posting some system specs and OS information (I know its Windows, but I need more)... then give me an example of a task that "takes 5 minutes" to do. From there someone might help you, as for your drivers, you'd have to check through the Linux websites and/or ask someone who knows Linux better than me.

I'm only taking a wild guess from what you posted... you either A) need more RAM B) have a crappy processor C) don't know how to use/manage a computer so it works efficently.

- Cheers

What program did you run, from what security site. . . .I'm very curious
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Thumbs up

HI ,

Please give more information so that we can help you.

Your system specifications, what video card u have onboard, what release of linux u want to use, and e.tc

Now I want to ask u a question: do u see linux as an alternative to windows??? (I mean if my windows give me problems, i go and install Linux?).

Cheers
    antisecurityboy

... as jaguar291 said you need to be a little more specific on the OS ... have you tried a Control-Alt-Del and then have a look in the Task Manager (Win2K and XP - cant remember for 98 I'm sorry) and see what processes are running, this tool might be "stuck" chewing up a fair bit of your system resources - hence slowing everything down.

If it is, try killing it off (End Process) and see how you go.

As for Linux, as it has been also suggested check out the vendor websites, Mandrake and RedHat both have fairly extensive hardware compatibility checks and stick with a fairly main stream distro (I am a little biased but I do recommend Mandrake for ease of install and support for linux newbies) until your knowledge base grows, then jump into the deep end and have fun.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    OK, at first there was no reason in negging hackerdan1, so I straightened that.

Second If you're box was running smooth before this happened, looking in your processes is a good place to start, also in that same window you can find the processor use, so that could be a good indicator too if your processor can *follow*. Anyway I'm sure you can find a list on google with some lists of processes needed.

Third, Linux is a good choice, but you need to really want it. It takes a lot of effort in the beginning and almost every driver or piece of hardware is out there to set it up right.
    Phat_penguin is right on the Mandrake/Redhat as good beginners, I'd like to add Suse here.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Originally posted here by .: Shrekkie :.
    OK, at first there was no reason in negging hackerdan1, so I straightened that.

Second If you're box was running smooth before this happened, looking in your processes is a good place to start, also in that same window you can find the processor use, so that could be a good indicator too if your processor can *follow*. Anyway I'm sure you can find a list on google with some lists of processes needed.

Third, Linux is a good choice, but you need to really want it. It takes a lot of effort in the beginning and almost every driver or piece of hardware is out there to set it up right.
    Phat_penguin is right on the Mandrake/Redhat as good beginners, I'd like to add Suse here.

Greetz,

I was just waiting to hear "try gentoo" lol you about got the gore mushroom slap of death hehe.

Anyway, Dan for Windows 98 as the other said ALT CTRL DEL will work just like in XP except you wont have to choose task manager, itll pop up everything running, look through there and see if anything seems to be playing in RAM land a little unfairly and make sure its not a system process. also you really should post what exactly your running, some hardware specs, and what program that was and where you got it from like the others said. also as i do almost daily im going to recommnd you go out and buy SuSE Linux because its the best in the world. Also mandrake is good for a beginner too. In my experiance SuSE has alot of hardware support out of the box.

Post what you have and ill check for you if you want. Like what sound card you have, the NIC you have, any other hardware you may have. SuSE rock hardcore and also if you select which packages you want you can actually add more things for hardware, just RTFM while you install and youll see the different things you can do during install. Also be sur to list your Video card. sooo:

List your hardware,
    List whats running in your task manager,
    use SuSE.

also it would be nice to know what "security" site it was cause it may have been one of the types that download lots of adware and the such. a bunch of adware/spyware could really bog down your system.

as for switching to linux, isn't that a little drastic? i mean i have no problem with linux and use it myself, but if you have little knowledge in it, switching to it just because your process slowed down seems a little extreme. i don't go out and buy a new car everytime mine runs out of gas....
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

actually i believe i ran a trojan by accident, i dont see it in CTRL ALT DEL and im runing windows 2000. I got lots of ram i forgot tho umm Pet. 4 Proccessor, forget the motherboard but its a good computer then right when i run this program its all the sudden dead. And no i have a shell account that made me a little more used to UNIX but i have been contemplaiting over switching to Linux for a long time. Just never got around to it so now my OS is dead and im gona format if i dont find a soultion anyway so my as well switch to Linux while im at it.
    Hacker dan

UPDATE: i might have fixed my computer i went to CTRL ALT DEL but when there would be no applications running my CPU would be at 100% so i went to processes and i found a few fatty programs taking up alot of CPU time. I killed them and now my computer is working good. Then when i restarted bam its at 100% again and i gota kill a few processes to make it work good. How can i make it work good all the time?
    Hacker dan