Dual Partition Linux/Windows Install

Thread: Dual Partition Linux/Windows Install

Dual Partition Linux/Windows Install

I am not familiar with linux but would really like to have it on my laptop to become familiar with. I want to partition my drive ( 30 gig) and install linux with a dual boot capability.
    The problem is........after a search of Google, and reading alot (not all) of what is on AO, I realize that I don't understand 1/4 of what I am reading. Everyone is using terms that go way over my head. When I search Google for a definition, hell, I can't understand it (the definition) either.
    Anyone have any suggestions. ( besides keep my head up my A$$, that is. )
    Moxnix

ps.
    1600/800 mobil AMD processor
    256 megs ram
    30 gig hard drive
    windows xp/home os
    ?? 3d vido card
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I typically use Partition Magic for this job. If you decide to use Partition Magic you need to make a partition for linux, and set it as the extended partition. Don't forget to make a swap file space for it aswell. Overall using Partition Magic can make it fairly easy for a newb to get the job done.

Thanks FrameWork.
    I already planned on buying Patition Magic, being advised to do so by a friend of mine, but what I am really looking for is a book for dummies....well not completely a novice. Something that will explain the terminology and such. (I should have been a little more clear, huh)
    Once I can understand the basics of what is in the various tutorials and e-books, I might have a chance.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned

First off, THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY LISTING YOUR SPECS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and second.

You want to try Linux out but you are a newbie in Linux. Well, As the others said, partition magiv is very nice, i use it to sometmies when i need to fix what i broke. As for a distro, Mandrake Linux and SuSE are your best bets.

Both are easy to install and also have help for newbies. SuSE with actually try helping you out more, like if you run windows 95/98/ME it will find the partitions for that and resize them for you and partition for you. I would recommend SuSE 8.1 or 8.2 Professional or Mandrake 9.1, now just to new people but also to anyone using Linux. Also, if you use SuSE and DO have any questions me and about 500 members here use it and i for one am a HUGE supporter of it.

Iv swayed about 10 people on AO into using it and they have all loved it. you can install freely over FTP but our new at it so i would recommend goign to best buy or some computer store and buying it, I also recommend buying it anyway to let them know they are appreciated.

Also when you buy you get books that will help you out. Anyway, happy Linuxing. Also, remember that installing Linux isnt going to make you a pimp or cure world hunger, alot of people have this idea that Linux is the answer to everything.

Another member was talking about this yesterday and they are right in a way. Linux is good and its not hat ard to use liek people think, but its not flawless, no OS is. But Linux willl et you set up your computer tighter that most OSs. also you learn ALOT installing it that you never thougth you could. soooo, enjoy.

and as always: **** SCO.

Thanks for the advice Gore. You said the magic words:
    Also when you buy you get books that will help you out.
    And thanks to MemorY. I would have never thought of "hacker terms Jargon Lexicon" and "
    hackers dictionary " as a resource.
    Moxnix
    Author Unknown