Thread: Stupid usefull windows hack

Talking Stupid usefull windows hack

Excuse me while I use that word in what in my opinion is it's purest form...

Anyways, Does it bug you, how if you download a cool new command line tool or something, or just want to get to, say, a folder on your desktop via command line. Now, I've seen little things, like with x-setup that say it will make a little context option on each folder 'go here on the command line' and stuff, but they simply seem broken. Well, today I figured out a stupid obvious way to do it that, it all my internet travels, has not come up. Here it is, a litte batch file I call "here.bat" that, when copied into whatever directory you're using and run, brings up the command prompt in that directory.

1 line :

@cmd

or for win 98/95 users of course:

@command

well... at least I'm assuming that last one will work...

Like i said, it's stupid simple, but now I keep it on my desktop, then copy it wherever it needs to go. Graphically of course, you know, good old drag-and-drop, I wouldn't be caught dead doing that kinda stuff on the cmd line. no more typing out cd "c:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\phpinstall\php-4.3.2-win32" or stupid long directory names.

Oh well, I'm happy.

Never use 'stupid' in the same sentance as 'useful'. The only thing stupid on a computer in my opinion is a trojan.. everything else has the potential to be so much more than the programmer intended (if you put your mind to it, so does a trojan).

Oh, thanks for the tool by the way, very useful

Originally posted here by Abtronic
    Never use 'stupid' in the same sentance as 'useful'. The only thing stupid on a computer in my opinion is a trojan.. everything else has the potential to be so much more than the programmer intended (if you put your mind to it, so does a trojan).

Oh, thanks for the tool by the way, very useful
    thanx Abtronic to introduce a little of philisophia into the forum!

Well, a puter is not stupid u say: do 1 and it does 1. The only part stupid in networking or computer is HUMAN (the user, the admin, the programmer, the hacker, ....).
    Back to the 80s Troyan was a very clever found and is still a very clever idea, the only silly thing is the reason why it had been designed for.

Maybe the home puter futur will include stupid A.I. I can't wait to see that!!!
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

thanx very much uppercell 4 tht idea 4 the tool... that works n is a nice shortcut.i`ve never thought of tht.
    |\\|e0

There must be more of these little Gems, that we have overlooked, perhaps because of their simplicity.. or just never get to try..
    Useful = Yes Stupid=only if you didn't put the idea into action
    Now you have given us the knowledge, anyone else?

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

You do know that you can wildcard the cd command. For instance in that last example you gave you could do "cd php-4*" and it would change to that long address. Atleast NT has always worked this way, not sure about 9x as I've never really used any of those.

Thanks for the useful 95/98 info...For WinXP you can go here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp
    and get the tool cmdhere.exe that does that trick , and some others too :cool

AO Part Timer
    I wrote this little script one time. Basically I have a bad habit of downloading stuff and saving it to the desktop. Whether it was a *.txt, or a *.zip, or even a *.html. Perhaps I just wanted to look at it later. Basically all the script did was scanned the desktop and put all *.txt filez into a folder I had made for specifically made for txt files, and each other file accordingly. I know lazy, lazy but hey. I figured out that I could add to this file. I have it merge registry files that would change the background, the screen saver. Ect. Then I went a step further and had everything match. So it was all theme based, right. I had it load from the current_version/run in the registry. I even created a "key disk" that you had to have to boot the pc past the a:\>.
    The options are endless. Whatever you have the imagination to command. It can happen. The computer does exactly what you tell it to do. 98% of the time. There is always an exception. That one and only exception is human error.

Be safe and stay free.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark