Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comcast Bandwidth

Comcast Bandwidth

currently i am having a serious problem with bandwidth.

Recently, Comcast Cable took over good ol' Attbi , and ever since then my cable has been sucking. I Have heard of scripts or programs taht can disable the "diluted" connection to your computer, freeing up your bandwidth. THe only reason im asking this is because on online games, before comcast, i was getting about 100 ping. Now when i play i get 256.

I also heard about something called weed 3.0. could any of you shed some light on the subject?

PLease help as I am a n00b in need and i would be very gratedul for any information.

I believe the programs you are referring to are illegal; therefore, I wouldn't reccomend them.

but do they exist? do you know if i could grab them on a p2p or something!! im desperate at this point.

Then call and complain to your ISP, I would not recommend uncapping your modem. They'll find out and cut you off, not to mention they might even try to get you to pay for the bandwidth you "stole" or worse....

Try the tweak tester at www.dslreports.com/tools

It may help.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Well, the majority of your problem, is probably the game server location. 256 on cable, is more than likely because of distance, rather than bandwidth. No cable connection is THAT BAD.

If you can rule that out, make sure you aren't uploading or downloading any files while you are playing. IE: P2P apps. Make sure nobody is using these that may share your connection to the internet as well.

If a server is in finland, and you are in NY, it's not gonna be pinging well, due to sheer distance.

Just a thought.

Originally posted here by monkeymagic
    THe only reason im asking this is because on online games
    Originally posted here by monkeymagic
    but do they exist? do you know if i could grab them on a p2p or something!! im desperate at this point.
    Online games don't seem like a "desperate" crisis to me. They especially don't seem to be a crucial problem that would constutute the use of illegal software. Take it from someone who has used more then their share of "warez", or illegal software, its a bad idea.

Not only is it a bad idea, but uncapping your connection via software like that we are speaking of, is fraud, and will be constituted as such when you are caught doing it, because trust me, they watch, and they will know.

Cable companies work with DSL-tier schemes for speed now, for instance, there is Comcast Pro, which is much fast upload and download than the regular service. If you uncap your connection, and you are on the regular-tier, they will notice, and you'll get caught, and you don't want that.

Just adding ever since comcast took over att my conenction has gone down hill...it jsut got better due to server problems in my area but my connection would degrad so bad tot he point when i would do a power reset it wouldn't sync back up. and at dsl reports they have a good tol called tcp optimizer that helped me out a lot.

Originally posted here by ForgotName
    they have a good tol called tcp optimizer that helped me out a lot.
    Should have mentioned that before.....I have also heard real good things about those optimizer tools. I used one a long time ago and I remeber it working.

monkey I work for comcast as a ir tech 2. give comcast a call and have them send a maintence tech to your area and check it out.[make sure it is a maintenance tech.] Chances are that comcast may be rebuilding your area hence the problems. There are alot of things to consider when dealing with cable. your line from the pole to the house the line on the strand or it could be that your area isnt balanced correctly. get on the phone and hassle someone. And get a supervisors name. They have special people who only deal with customers the right way and that will be the supervisor of your local comcast. also if you have radioshack spliters that are not 1000 megahertz then you will get what is referred to as a [Drop out]. Also if you have 59 cable [it says rg-59] on the cable it probably is NOT shielded. now what i would do is call comcast and get the service package its called cable gaurd and wait a month then have them come in and rewire your house lines in and out for free. you might be suprised when you get RG-6 Quadshield rerun inside. just a heads up comcast has checks and balances up to moniter the things you do. because you are in a new area you might get away with uncapping it. But i wouldn't Unless the old dial up suites you fine. I hope this helped you. if you need any help just PM me.

Its worth a shot. But don't bash a company untill you have the whole story. I've met people telling me its the calbe and it turns out the tuner is bad on the set. So check into what i've said. just had to add that. P.S. spliters=splitters

ask yourself this... When was the last time your cables have been replaced. Wired does deteriorate in time. Chances are that it might just be the cable. There are limitless Questions here to be answered and If you lived in New Jersey I'd probably be the guy there to help you out.