Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comcast Bandwidth

I also just went through the switch from ATTBI to Comcast, and had latency problems. By any chance do you have a Toshiba modem (I think the one I had was a PCX1000 but not positive)? I called and complained, and they replaced my Toshiba with a Motorola and it's been great ever since.
    As a side note, the tech that came to the house told me she had replaced about 50 of the Toshiba's in the past couple weeks, but Comcast wouldn't admit there was any problem with the Tosh's on their network, but her van full of modems seemed to indicate otherwise.

Big companies are all the same

It's sometimes hard to get a tech to help you because they deal with a lot of people every day and they make assumptions that could be wrong. cOre is an example of good techs and if you keep trying you will get one. Most of the time I find that if I mail them a trace route to a server then someone can see EXACTLY what node is dropping the packets, it might not be them but some back bone provider. Cable systems are complicated because they use RF that can leak as components degrade and everything has to be tweaked and balanced just right. And they really were not designed to upload traffic, it was a one way system. I haven't been exactly overjoyed with my own cable company but persistence pays off, and being nice when possible. Some techs are even eager to help because they love solving problems. A lot of set top boxes have a test mode that can check some parts of the cable. Last time I had a problem it was in the last 4 feet coming into my house. Oh and one more note, I know a lot of people like splitters, but man they drop the signal by 3dbm. That's half! For every one you use! Put the splitters after the modem, I think the TVs can use a lot weaker signal than the modems can. At least a tech told me that one day…

Oh and as far as uncapping a modem? It's not legal and that’s UPLOADING anyway. Cable should not be that slow, it's hardware or routing problems someplace.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.