Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hacking Myths

Lightbulb Hacking Myths

Ok, after reading the 100th post detailing some totally impractical super hacking method I thought it might be good to compile a list of all the myths out there and what the case really is. Hopefully this will allow everyone to make more informed decisions (or at least stop posts that are not really of much value).

so, on with the start of the list..

1) Its easy to sniff traffic and steal passwords, or session hijack across the internet - Ok, this one is all over the place, on an internal LAN its highly possible, but across the internet it would require the attacker to take over one of the routers you are passing through and sniff the traffic that way, then hijack the session. Once the packet leaves that first router there is no way to tell where its going after that until it hits the targets external router.

2) Windows is easier to hack then Linux - (sure to raise a few stirs with this one) ok, if you secure Windows it will be secure, if you secure Linux it will be secure, if you don`t secure them then you can attack them with a high degree of success.

3) Organisations connected to the internet leave all kinds of fun ports open for you to break into - Many organisations have decent administrators who do implement security measures so writing something along the lines of "connect to telnet, it will be open" just isn`t the case.

4) You can hack Windows across the net using Netbios - Ok, this is only the case if a Windows box is unsecured and attached the net. Beyond that firewalls will be in place, routers will be in the way, and some People will disable netbios and remove all those default shares you keep hearing about.

5) Open Ports mean you are vulnerable - If you are running a web server you are going to have Port 80 open, so running a port scanner isn`t going to tell you anything other then that port 80 is open. You need to run a vulnerability scanner to find out if your webserver is vulnerable to any attacks.

6) There are 10000000000 Viruses out there - Ok everytime a virus comes out (lets call it "Blue Virus" for discussion purposes) thats a virus, now, everytime someone makes any changes to "blue Virus" even if its just to make it display "hell0" rather then "hello" that counts as a new virus. Now, I think that tends to overestimate things a little.

Ok, thats a start, hopefully other people will add more, or else I`ll just keep on writing stuff.

I hope that someone finds this useful.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    (or at least stop posts that are not really of much value).
    Good luck. Although my post isn't of much value is it

Excellent start though. You covered the most common things I hear. If I come up with anything else, I will add it.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    if you secure Windows it will be secure, if you secure Linux it will be secure
    i dont think you can secure s system that it WILL be secure...if someones want to break in he will... there alwasy a way ....

this aint much value either just adding my opinion

I think you're kind of missing the point Memory. My Windows box is about 100x more secure than any *nix box I had would be, simply because I know Windows, and I know what to do with Windows. You give me Linux and I'm gonna be wide open because I don't know what to do with it. It depends on what you're comfortable with and what you know. People can argue all day long about which is the better/more secure OS, but if you are dealing with something you don't know and don't know what to do with, it's not gonna matter one way or the other, you're going to be vulnerable.

Although it's also entirely possible that I'm the one missing the point.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

I tend to agree with memory debwalin. No matter how secure you think you have your box it can alwasy be broken into. Theres always a back way or one little option you forgot.

Just like memory said.

if someones want to break in he will... there alwasy a way ....
    Thats what I think.
    =

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I think both memory and cheyenne are missing the point. Look at the original post...
    Windows is easier to hack then Linux
    The point was, windows is NOT easier to hack then linux. If an admin knows their job, both operating systems will have the EXACT same ammount of security.
    There was never any mention of perfect security. Even openBSD which went almost 6 years without a remote exploit had one show up in the last 6 months or so (apache chunk exploit...don't remember release date).

and if you want to get technical, then NOTHING is ever secure. There is always a way to rob a bank. If someone is determined enough, they will find a way into the most secure area of the pentagon. If you properly secure your machine, then it is often quite a lot easie to pick a lock on the house and break in to get whatever information that you want then it is to actually hack the machine.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Excellent,
    I have 2 more point for u:
    7) Firewalls keep me out of danger - the firewall is a very useful tool, but its scope is to follow a list of rules. An attack may use an firawall hole or the firewall management itself to intrude the protected system.

8) I've been hacked & I don't care - (don't laugh, sm1 said it!) You don't have any sensitive information on the puter, u use it exclusively for games and dowloading mp3 & divx with P2P, u know there is great chance to be hacked but u don"t care.
    First you r a danger for the whole IP community, bcoz u'll be participating into wild DDoS.
    Secondly, u'll be kicked of a chatroom by the first stupid script kiddie if he decided to.
    Third, sm1 can use ur puter to hack the FBI and u may go to jail....
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

9) Just because you root a box you are a hacker

10) You can spoof your IP AND DO SOMETHING USEFUL BY SPOOFING IT

Originally posted here by wassup
    9) Just because you root a box you are a hacker

10) You can spoof your IP AND DO SOMETHING USEFUL BY SPOOFING IT

Did you notice that everyone else who listed items got a lot of greenies so that's why you did it??? Well don't just give a point, follow everyone elses example... if you are going to give us something them include proof, or at least an explanation....