Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connecting domains over internet

connecting domains over internet

hey guys, what's up? haven't posted in a while but i was wondering if someone could help me out. i'm not too sure how to do this so any information is great..

I'm setting up a windows 2000 domain in NYC but i also need to setup a domain in NJ where the warehouse is located. I'm not quite sure on this but I'm thinking that I would have to create a VPN to connect the two domains together. I want to be able to share all printers, files, etc. If someone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Feel free to email me at chris@gamisou.com. Thanks alot and I appreciate the help!!
    \"Success is my only option, failure is not\" - Eminem

You don't need a VPN, as far as I know. You only need to setup a two-way or transitive trust between the domains. Is this going to be a child domain or another domin all together?

it's going to be a child domain. How exactly would i create the trust relationship? Sorry I've never done this before

You may not "need" a VPN but I would recommend one.

I personally wouldn't want my authentication information going over the Internet unencrypted, the only thing between it and the "baddies" on the Internet being Microsoft programmers. Hmm, that's a no-no.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

If it is going to be a child domain, the trust is implied. You will need some type of WAN connection to link these domains though. Once you domain controllers can "talk", you simply run dcpromo and designate your NJ Domain Controller as a child domain of you NY DC. How are you planning to physically link the two sites?

T1 lines

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    You may not "need" a VPN but I would recommend one.
    I agree, you will definately want to use IPsec as well.

You could try using 2 x Linksys VPN Tunneling routers. Information is encrypted between the routers; and only the 2 IP addresses are allowed access. (not to be confused with the Linksys VPN end point router)

Well if you are using T1 then why consider A VPN? A private connection is a private connection, I was under the assumption you were connecting these two domains over the internet. I mean that is the title of your thread....

If you are using private links then there's no need for any VPN, duh. The whole point of a VPN is to keep the data private on a public network.

What EXACTLY do you want to do?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Sorry for the confusion but like I said I've never done this before so please bare with me. I need the office to have the t1 because it will be running IIS and exchange. I want the warehouse to also be able to connect the domain and access network resources and email.