My dual boot ate my computer....

Thread: My dual boot ate my computer....

The Recidivist

Question My dual boot ate my computer....

Okay, so here is the problem. I had a dual boot of RH/XP running on my girl's machine. Grub was the boot loader. Everything worked beautifully.

Then she decided that she wanted to go back to using ME.

*shrug*

So I decided while I was at it I wanted to try SUSE. So, using third party partition software, I deleted the *nix partition and then reboot using ME boot disk and deleted the XP partition using fdisk. Then I created 1 new partition to install ME on. Heres the trouble. After installation ( HP rescue disk /w ME on it, didn't know if that was a needed info variable or not) I rebooted and got a screen that had

GRUB>

and some other stuff about pressing TAB to get a command list. I did that and none of the commands seem to be of any use. I tried getting rid of all partitions then formating everything and that didn't work. I even tried pulling the battery on BIOS ( you can tell at this point I had no idea wtf I was doing and was running short on ideas) and, surprise!, that didn't work either.

So in short, or rather kinda long, how do I get rid of GRUB?

Thank you in advance all you *nix gurus.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

GRUB is probably installed into the Master Boot Record (MBR).
    To clear that you need a boot floppy with fdisk installed on it and perform a 'fdisk /mbr'.
    This should clear the MBR.

There is a tutorial on this subject (except it is LILO) called
    Removing Lilo written by tyger_claw.

I hope this can help you put your box back together.

Cheers
    noODle

The Recidivist
    Thanks for the help noodle. Really appreciate it. Using the university computer lab kinda sucks.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche