Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Networking Utilities

Linux Networking Utilities

Hello Again Friends,

Recently I have loaded my very own version of Linux and I came to wondering, "Where and What are the utilities used for network maintenance?" I mean, Windows had got 'netstat', 'nbtstat', 'NET X', yada yada yada. I guess my question is where should I look in linux to find these commands or apps. And yes, I have looked though the AO database for a thread. No luck. Would some expert please enlighten me.

Scatman

try a few of these on for size;

on the commandline type in -

man ifconfig (ifconfig - configure a network interface)
    man route (route - show / manipulate the IP routing table)
    man netstat (netstat - Print network connections, routing tables, interface statistics, masquerade connections, and multicast memberships)

happy reading......

A couple useful ones that I use frequently...

ping, hping2, tracert, nc, iptraf, ettercap, nmap, tcpdump

There are a couple to get you stared. Some of these are not installed by default and you will need to use google and find them, download and install them.

As phat_penguin pointed out... use the man files! They are a life saver!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Could someone elaborate on what a 'man' file is?

Scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

It's a gas!
    man = manual
    So by typing man nmap, you will get the manual for nmap's usage eg. arguments for the nmap command and what they are used for.

man is a command that stands for manual, most/all programs come with man files... the man command simply looks up the app's man file and displays it for you...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    ping, hping2, tracert, nc, iptraf, ettercap, nmap, tcpdump
    These are good commands but I think you had a bit of OS dyslexia. Tracert works in dos and the linux equivelent is traceroute. Another cool network command thats built-in to linux is ssh. It lets you connect to another linux box, or any other computer running an ssh server, and all your packets are encrypted. Its a lot like telnet but more secure.

Does anyone know where I could locate a command 'index' of all of the possible net commands?
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

Type "net help"
    The list of available commands are listed for you. If you need help with the individual command type "net help <insert command here>"
    Hope this helps.