Thread: Ports being blocked.

Ports being blocked.

Hey thanks ahead of time for anyone that help me out. Well I am going to school and they block almost all the ports here and I really need access to a few of them. The only ports where aloud to use are 80 and 443. Is there anyway around this. I need alot of other ports open for school.

Banned
    Aside from the few illegal or downright immoral things you can do.... you could simply talk to the admin there. And I don't think you absoluty "NEED" things like FTP & IRC . And as far as useing public computers goes... other than useing them to browse/research, I think useing public computers for personal use is rather dumb considering the fact that what you consider 'personal' can easyly be brought to the public.

Firstly .. If u r working on a valid project.. seek ur Network administrators help to open few required ports...

As rightly pointed out.. dont mess up the port settings for personal use......

Incase u need the ports to chat and maybe use IRC.. dear u have to understand that every body has to abide by the rules set by an Organisation.. Any breach could be viewed seriously by the management....

Hence be very careful....

My advice don't get into such activities......

Regards

Kalp

well i kno wif i get caught its my own arse. But, there is no harm intended. I did talk to the network admins here and they have no control on it what so ever. Due to the fact that this is on a govenrment network. And there desisions are made some where in texas.

They said if i can do it. Its fine. But i do thank you all for any help that you have givin me and any warnings Ill lisent to you all.

buddy,
    Don't trust your admins. The 'people' in Texas are gunna nail you if anyone does. When I was a young man in Soviet Georgia, I hacked my school firewall and was sentenced to felony charges. Yes, the admins at my school said that, "We don't care...". Well the admins did. So skrewed was I. Just don't fiddle with the law man. Trust me.

Scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

Well Ill take your words of advice thanks.

But I am real cool with the admins. Like I go out drinkin with them cool.

But they dont have access to them. and the people in texas have way to much too do to look at ports. It took them 13 days to give us one IP to use. They have over 150 centers to run all with 1000 plus comps. And the only time ill do this is after 5pm when they all have gone home.

I dont have any intention of unblocking ports. I just want to use a way around this issue. such as route all info to a sever somewhere and get all the info back on port 80 or 443. then send it back to the server "proxie" and have them send it out on that port that the app needs. Is there any way of doing this.

\"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

f1Ct104 you need to learn something and learn it quick. A network admin never leaves his network. Even if they leave at 5pm that doesn't mean that they are not watching the network which can be done easily from home with todays technology.

Am telling you now, you don't want to mess with a Government control system. You are only looking for trouble. Tampering is illegal whether or not the school admin tells you they don't care.

My advise to you is, get a personal computer to do what you need to do. Just don't go around messing with ports on the school system.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Originally posted here by f1Ct104
    Well Ill take your words of advice thanks.

But I am real cool with the admins. Like I go out drinkin with them cool.

But they dont have access to them. and the people in texas have way to much too do to look at ports. It took them 13 days to give us one IP to use. They have over 150 centers to run all with 1000 plus comps. And the only time ill do this is after 5pm when they all have gone home.

I dont have any intention of unblocking ports. I just want to use a way around this issue. such as route all info to a sever somewhere and get all the info back on port 80 or 443. then send it back to the server "proxie" and have them send it out on that port that the app needs. Is there any way of doing this.
    Your school is on a government-controlled system? That the local Admins don't have access to? I did a bit of work for both public and privet universities this was never the case....unless are you talking about Aberdeen (sp?)...if that is the case unless you are doing research (in which case you would have approval) you don't need/belong on Aberdeen. If its not an internet 2 thing then the Admin is pulling your chain for the fun of it.

Ok ill be a good boy. Assum that i will not try this. But thanks for all you advice and help