Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free BSD monitor adjustments

Question Free BSD monitor adjustments

Allright, real n00b question. . .I have a junk monitor, it's a, heh heh, Packard Bell. . .the BSD drivers for my graphics card don't allow me to make screen size adjustments like XP's do, so the picture doesn't cover the entire screen. Kay, my question, is there a way that I can change the screen size (not resolution, actual picture on the screen) through some kind of software or system settings??
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

are you talking about the horizontal and vertical sync?
    i dunno whatelse they call it, but that's those two lil' nobs on the side/back...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Setting up X on BSD is a pain in the ass sometimes, but anyway, do you have buttons on the monitor so you can just widen the screen and stuff like that? or... yea i think you should rephrase this a lil bit, if you mean you want the screen bigger just play with the buttons on the monitor.

I think it might be the synch rates, but mah knobbies don't work, monitor is a real piece. . .in XP I get a little console when I hit the advanced button in the display properties window. From there I can reposition and change the size of the picture. I was wondering if there is a way to do this w/ software in BSD.

Gore>Yeah X is a pain, I got a method though, I don't configure anything on install, I use the xconfig proggie after everything is on the drive and I never get any problems. . .The problem is my monitor is a piece of sh#!.

Hi,

Have you try edit your XF86Config? cause by default FreeBSD have 800x600 as display.
    do this:
    # vi /etc/X11/XF86Config
    And then look on screen parts and change it to any size you want:
    # **********************************************************************
    # Screen sections
    # **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present. Each describes
    # the configuration of a single screen. A single specific screen section
    # may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
    # option.
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen 1"
    Device "Trident"
    Monitor "tos 5082"
    DefaultDepth 16

Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

As you can see my one using DefaultDepth 16 1024x768 <<<you need to change this if you have 800x600

Or you can do
    # xvidtune

Cheeers
    Not an image or image does not exist!

If i were you i would try /stand/sysinstall and pick the very bottom option for configuring x ,if i remember right it has what you are looking for (its been a while but i am quite sure it is there) , if not www.freebsdforums.org in the x11 section will fix ya .

edit you can alway do as i said and have it write the config to a different file. Then cutnpaste the
    needed lines in
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Eh, damn, I don't think I worded the question correctly. . .Thanks for the excellent config description for the screens SweetAngel, but it's not the resolution. It's the crappy monitor. . .I'll try xvidtune tonight though, haven't tried playing w/ that one. The problem is that when I startx everything comes up fine the res is set right, it's just this little crappy monitor I have leaves a portion of the screen black on the sides. . .in XP I can adjust it w/ my vid card software, since the horiz and vert knobbies don't work on it. . .aw well, guess I'll get a new one and just use this one for XP. . .Thanks again.

Originally posted here by bludgeon
    The problem is that when I startx everything comes up fine the res is set right, it's just this little crappy monitor I have leaves a portion of the screen black on the sides. . .

I have same problem as you on my pc desk, I have black screen on the sides.I tried to set resolution to any size..but still have black screen on the side ( I have this problem for 2 weeks and I have brand new flat monitor), I thought I have problem with my monitor and then I figured out I set my " size of my video card is wrong", my one have 32MB and I set to 16MB. As soon as I got it right, I don't have that black screen any more.
    So try to check your video card size configuration and then try to change it.

I hope this one works for you, if not ..get a new monitor

Cheers

Swee-eeeeet, I bet your right, I didn't set it to other, I used the 4096k option instead, you rock!!! Thanks Sweetangel hope it works!!!

Banned

be careful

I've never used bsd but I've used windows and linux and I know from experience that you have to be really careful or you could really screw up you're computer and monitor.