Thread: Windows 2003 Logon Problem

Antionline Herpetologist

Angry Windows 2003 Logon Problem

Is it possible to have multiple local users logged on at the same time under Windows 2003? For example, under XP, it's possible to disconnect a user using Fast User Switching. Since this service doesn't exist under Windows 2003, disconnecting a user locks the computer. Now, trying to unlock the computer using a different user name yields a message that says that the previous user will be logged off and all unsaved data will be lost. While I appreciate that this is a security feature, it would be nice if there was a way around it. Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I believe you're right about it being a security measure. Win 2003 is all about security and I wouldn't imagine MS making it possible for multiple users to log on locally at the same time. XP is not as stringent with security which is probbly why it is possible.

Win2k works the same way. Even if you are using term serv, if the person disconnects the session. I don't know of a way to get back into that session.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I noticed this too. I have yet to dig up *any* docs that clarify the issue. The only way I have gotten multiple users logged in is through Terminal Services, which is an entirely different issue.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

To answer the question in one word, no.

Fast User switching was put on windows xp primarily for home users. Since Windows 2003 is not meant to be a home OS it does not have this function.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Oh well, thanks for all the replies. Back to XP, I guess. Damn, I was looking forward to using IIS 6.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com