Tips & Tricks

Thread: Tips & Tricks

Tips & Tricks

Hey everyone,

I really wanted this tut to come out on the 17 but it took longer then I thought it would.
    Well, here goes nothing.

If you had read unraveling google found, was the basics of google. In this tut I will touch up and show some tricks to making your search faster and more efficient

Slang with google

When searching with google your choice of words can make a big difference. Every one of us have a distinctive speech pattern depending on our education, families, and where we live. How slang can help you search better is by breaking up your search results into geographically distinct areas. "There is some geographical blurriness when you use slang to narrow your search results (note using slang work's very well)." If you live other then the U.S (everyone has a different speech/way of speaking slang). If you need slang dictionary's, check out these links:

The Probert Encyclopedia

Surfing for slang

Dictionary of slang

These are a few things to be careful with when searching:

- Minimize your search for slang when searching for more formal sources
    - Don't try to many words at once.
    - Don't use slang words if you can because slang changes too much to be searchable..
    - Be careful when using teenage slang because it change constantly.

Note: If you add "specialty vocabulary" be very careful because you will narrow down your search results to the point that nothing will come up. Use one slang word at a time and you will greatly narrow down your search results.

The 10 word limit?

Did you know that google has a 10 word limit, anything past 10 words will be ignored. How do I get pass this?
    Lets say that you want to search for "E.X: Where can I find a local computer store in my area" (that is already 11 words) lets say you live in Little Rock, Arkansas, so your search will come out like this "E.X: Where can I find a local computer store in Little Rock Arkansas" That is 12 words. "can," "I," "in," "where," "find," and "A," are all common words. So now you have E.X: Find computer store "Little Rock Arkansas" (Note: those comas are part of the search) This is what comes up (note: 2,910 results) and if you where to search with those 12 words this is what u get (note:18,500 results).
    P.S: Sorry about the links not working (I can't get them to work). So I put "note" those where my search results.

The common words (I, the, a, and, of) do no good when using google. These are called ?word stops? they are ignored. But this is easy to fix, to force google to take these words in your search you have to put a plus in front of them like this +of or +and, etc.
    Just a "cool" little trick.

Rewrite them?

Do you know that if you rewrite the word 2 or even 3 times it narrows down your results. If you where to search for fireworks this is what you get (1,840,000 results), fireworks two times (fireworks fireworks) then you get 1,070,000 and when search fireworks three times (fireworks fireworks fireworks) you get 1,020,000.

The way you order?

The order in which you put your keywords can be just as important as the query it's self. This can also narrow down your results and also changes what will go to the top (making your search faster)
    Google tells you this: "Keep in mind that the ordering which the term are typed will affect the search results." But it doesn't help you how to take full advantage of this feature. E.X If I where to search the word Peach Buds (those are good, its a candy ) this is what you will get and with 32,400 and if you where to search Buds Peach up comes better results but more results 32,600.

Full wild cards

Google offers the full wild card, googles wild card is *. Put googles wild card (*) into a phase and have the wild card act as a substitute. E.X: searching for Beverly * Cop (Beverly Hills Cop) this is what comes up

I found the best link I can bring to you, (if you need any help with anything about google give that link a try). Very helpful.

The End/Thankyou

Thankyou for reading, Take care and have a great day!!! .

First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat

This tutorial was plagiarized from the O'Reilly book Google Hacks, By Tara Calishain and Rael Dornfest, which lists the top 100 google hacks. Available here can be seen the source of d00dz Attackin's information. d00dz Attackn copied the first, top six entries from this book. He copied this information from this book, it was not his, he should not get credit for it.

Looks like it at first sight, yups..
    I can only compare the 5th chapter, though... the structure definitely is the same, but d00dz did a good job adding typo's and ****-ups... :/

I'm moving this to GCC... 're-writing' an existing tutorial isn't what Tutorials is for...

Am sorry I forgot to write where I got my reference, all i did was rewrite it in a better understanding, I thought I was able to change it to make it more clear and undersandable in my own words . Sorry I will never do that again.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat

Flash M0nkey
    Sorry I will never do that again
    hmmmm dont need to never do it again.....just do it better, and i dont mean make it so no-one knows you plagerisd :P

there is a diference between research and plagerism
    ask anyone who has ever had to write a piece of course work etc
    referencing other people's work is very important - its not enough saying something you gotta back it up as well.
    Same kind of thing could be applied here - dont just rewrite someone elses work expand upon it - take different areas you dont think were covered properly and do some more research into them and then bring that into it as well.....use their work to give you an idea or inspiration maybe even a foundation.....

isn't that what its all about really?? we all take other peoples ideas and build upon them creating something beyond the original?

but always get credit to were you got your information

valhallen has made some good points.

aside from what he has said..

We all live and learn. We all make mistakes. Its good that you make mistakes as that is a good way to learn.
    I know I've made a lot of mistakes and I know I'll make a lot more...

Just remember that it is very important to post your source. Both the owners and you can get into a lot of legal trouble for something like this. Its a very good thing that we have excelent mods who pay attention and move threads as needed. It is equally important that we have members that check to make sure that "original" work truley is "original".

Otherwise... this site would have been shut down a long time ago with all the n00bs that were posting other peoples work as their own...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.