Thread: Need Reply EXTREMELY Fast

er0k

Question Need Reply EXTREMELY Fast

I know this isnt in the right forum, but this is somewhat of an emergency. Neg away if you must. Its networking and it can be construed to deal with security

OS - Slackware9

Regular compatible ethernet card.

With a regular ethernet card, that is compatible with linux.. should i have any trouble clearing my netconfig and connecting to a t1 network at a college? I have been behind a NAT router with an assigned static internal address. I was also wondering if the before mentioned would cause problems if i dont setup dhcp to allow me to get a new ip from the T1 network, or if that even mattered. I have no clue how t1 networks work, as i have never read much about them or know much about their topology. I mean, i realise how easy it is in windows, but i was wondering if:

[a] there was anything special i need to do

[b] if Slack9 even works with t1?

and

[c] Anything else you need to tell me before i leave?

I will be gone to a university for 18 days, and i don't have a spare windowscd... So im stuck with linux if i want an OS, (which i would rather be stuck with linux anyday, as long as i have net access)

I need an answer before around 30 minutes from now. If you dont reply before then, dont worry about it. it is now 1:21 AM
    I am in GMT -6

Ill give until 2 am, but i have to pack up this computer quickly, for i am leaving early on in the morning and this needs to go first.

(You can see that im kinda panicky but i forgot to think about it, im sure its compatible. But i couldnt go 18 days without net access to save my life.)

Thanks in advance for prompt replies. i will be bumping this for 30 minutes.

hopefully this will help if not someone will jump on it and correct ...

I would try .... ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx .... (for the IP the sysadmins give you and sets your card to that IP - I think they will assign you an IP so they can see what your up to )

and then

route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dev eth0 (for the uni gateway they give you to get out on the net if its allowed ... the IT section there will no doubt help, so dont panic)

good luck and enjoy your studies.

Found this might help ... and thanks to problemchild

Originally posted here by problemchild
    You can start with 'man ifconfig' and 'man route' and a good Google search.

If you have DHCP configured on your router, you should be able to 'dhcp eth0' and that should be good enough.

If you have static IP addresses on your network, you can enter the paramaters by hand with ifconfig and route. Assuming you have a class C network:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.xxx broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    /sbin/route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

Banned
    at our school they run new slackware boxes with a T1 modem.... we dont have any problems.... i dont really know that much about linux .... but im prety sure there won't be any complications concerning a T1 connection ....

er0k
    thanks for the help.

one worry remains though. Im not sure if i will be able to contact the sys admins or if there will be any ready help available, and was wondering if dhcp would suffice? I mean, i can always just netconfig and set it to dhcp, and i mean, its a uni, of course they will dhcp their ips. Half the kids AT uni dont even know what an internal address is.

Thanks Phat_Penguin, ill write that down, i forgot about route add default gw, that was my main concern =/

Just hopefully ill be able to talk to one of the admins! I wont be able to sleep until i get net access, so maybe if i cant get it to work and i gripe enough, i can get some help!

the way i understand it, you may encounter problems if you do not configure your ethernet adapter to use DHCP, since most college networks may change the IP address from time to time, if not all the time becuase you ( the end user) go through several network hubs before you reach the backbone and reach the internet, expecially if your power goes it, or the servers reset, (correct me if im wrong which may be) but thats how my college network operated my past year at school. hope this is of some help, as long as you can setup your card for DHCP you should be fine..

oops ,look like some other guys got to it b4 me .lol, im just a newb, sorry if my info was incorrect.
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

er0k
    Originally posted here by MemorY
    at our school they run new slackware boxes with a T1 modem.... we dont have any problems.... i dont really know that much about linux .... but im prety sure there won't be any complications concerning a T1 connection ....

a t1 modem for the server? and then just allow nodes to connect via cat5/ethernet card?

Originally posted here by Alphaflux
    the way i understand it, you may encounter problems if you do not configure your ethernet adapter to use DHCP, since most college networks may change the IP address from time to time, if not all the time becuase you ( the end user) go through several network hubs before you reach the backbone and reach the internet, expecially if your power goes it, or the servers reset, (correct me if im wrong which may be) but thats how my college network operated my past year at school. hope this is of some help, as long as you can setup your card for DHCP you should be fine..
    cool, i figured id have to use dhcp, i mean, the admins arent going to specifically go through out of thousands of nodes connected and assign ip addys invidually? Although they could...

btw you guys own for helping me out so fast, ill be sure to write some tuts or something to give back to ao.

Banned
    a t1 modem for the server? and then just allow nodes to connect via cat5/ethernet card?
    yes... glad we were online to help you out ....

er0k
    yeah no **** me too, packing for 18 days is a bitch.

especially when i do it all in 4 hours time

Banned
    ...have a safe trip and we all hope to see you very soon back online .....

er0k
    should be back on monday evening if i can get it working! and thanks, hope i dont die

On a plus side i get to meet mg32 and negative while im there.. Austin, Texas

Also, you all have 10 minutes (ish) left if any of you want to throw any more advice in.