Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the F*** happened to my Norton!!

What the F*** happened to my Norton!!

I just logged onto my computer and Norton's autoprotect is off. When I try to enable auto protect I get an error message:

Line: 887
    Char: 5
    Error: Unspecified error.
    Code: 0
    URL: res://C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVUI.dll/navstats.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Then when I hit yes OR no it just acts like I never tried to enable it in the first place. It's not due for renewal for another 10 months, so what the hell happened?

I'm running XP OS and am using cable connection. Should I just uninstall and reinstall it or is there another way to reenable auto protect? But still does anyone know why this happened?

Watcher
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Many newer viruses will try to disable all antivirus software installed on the host computer. If your signatures weren't updated it may be possible that this very thing occured.
    \"Is this heaven? No, this is Iowa.\"
    -Field of Dreams

I had the same thing happen to mine, caused by the sobig virusemailed to me, download the newist live update and then restart it should start back up on its own (you may want to go into services and makesure its set to start on startup)
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Woah....first calm down....second open up antivurs and make sure its set to load on boot ... then reboot if you still have the same problem..check the Norrton Website for bugs, fixes and/or updates....if all else fails just reinstall
    -----
    yourname here

This is from the Norton knowledge base and should fix your problem.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...0?OpenDocument
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Whew! Thanks CXGJarrod. All I had to do was update my drivers for Norton and reboot.
    It doesn't help to be reading about nothing but black hats, viruses, trojans and such things for a week straight and then start see your system's defenses going haywire.
    You saved my life, truly.

Watcher
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

allrighty,
    I had the same problem i believe. What you might want to do is go to run>msconfig.exe>startup and enable nortons. you will then be prompted with a reboot. after that you should be able to enable it. take care.

Not that I think you have this, but I once had this really horrible virus that disabled norton's auto protect, deleted the virus definitions, disabled my D drive so I couldn't re-install it, and then it went to work destroying my computer. It started with small symptoms like the one you just described. CXGJarrod's post is truly awesome because he pin-pointed the answer to your problem, but you should still always be cautious with stuff like that. After my system crashed like that, I was left just awed that something like that could happen. Oh well, life goes on. later
    -keezel

Arrow

i think what you can do is to get the updates on another machine , then make updated emergency disks, then come to your machine . then scan your machine with this emergency disks.

then when clean start your machine and enable norton autoprotect.

cheers
    antisecurityboy

CXGJarrod, Bloody good info, and an excellent call .. we do tend to pounce on the virus bus when ever things go bad..

Hmm what this story tells me..

If the AV Prog is kaput(or not functioning as it should).. it need not be a Virus..
    .. Question to ask.. Is there any other activity that is not normal..
    Is Task Manager accessable ? (ie CTL-ALT-DEL)
    Can we still open MSCONFIG, REGEDIT etc?
    Is Internet access "Normal"?
    Is there any abnormal activity? (besides the cold sweat on your brow)

Seem the classic rule from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy still holds..
    DON'T PANIC (just yet anyway)

And again thanks CXGJarrod.. btw; you found that useing the symantec search yes?

thanks and Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr