Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux on laptops

linux on laptops

i've been using linux (slack) and unix (freebsd) for some time now. i recently got a laptop and i was wondering, from all your guys' experiences, which *nix OS is most compatible and performs the best on the laptop environment. Im pretty much just going to be using it for coding and bx but i'd prefer it to have a graphical desktop, which is hard to configure from my experience. any help would be much appreciated. thanks!
    ~-not all who wonder are lost-~

its very dependant on the hardware in your laptop !

personally i use a dell inspiron 8200 and both redhat 7.3 and suse linux from version 7.0 to latest went on fine, a few config probs with soundcard and nic but got em sorted fairly easily.

my linux guru buddy swears by suse for laptops but that is open to conjecture !
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

geepod SuSE owns, deal with it

thank you for the quick responses. yeah, i've used suse before on my laptop but didnt even think about trying to install that on the laptop. i was trying to stay away from rpm-based solutions, but i will no doubt use them if i can't find another distro that suits my needs. thanks again!

btw i have an xp 2000/radeon (newer, i'm not sure which model) vid card

cheers

1st instance of laptop = workstation

Originally posted here by crypto
    thank you for the quick responses. yeah, i've used suse before on my laptop but didnt even think about trying to install that on the laptop. i was trying to stay away from rpm-based solutions, but i will no doubt use them if i can't find another distro that suits my needs. thanks again!

btw i have an xp 2000/radeon (newer, i'm not sure which model) vid card

cheers

1st instance of laptop = workstation

You dont have to use RPMs, SuSE lets you use the Debian packages thingy too and also the Tar.gz "i have free time" way as well. and the quick responces are cause were good

For the record SuSE has been around longer than Redhat, therefore longer than an RPM.

ah thats good to know. i thought that suse totally made the switch to rpm. (heh and i know that redhat came after...i'm not THAT new to the scene!). anyway, i decided to go with debian. but thanks for all the help although a bit smart ;p later all

crypto: Just cause I'm curious... why don't you want something you can use RPM with?

I've used both... compile from source and install with RPM. I've found that RPM is generally easier for a noob... but compiling from source is just as easy with a little practice and reading. I tend to prefer RPM.

Maybe you'll change my mind?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Use RedHat 8.0

It works well on mine.

As mentiononed above it all depends on your hardware.

As always;
    Thats my two cents worth so...
    Cheerio.
    iRoute.net
    PacketStorm

I generally run nothing but Slack and Gentoo, but I found for simplicities sake that Red Hat 7.3 was the best choice for my Compaq Evo N610c. Nothing else wanted to work well from initial install...... (of course, I didn't try Gentoo on it, not enough time to for a build after I had already spent two days trying half a dozen different distros).

Now, if I had known it was going to take as long as it did to get it up and running right, I probably would have spent the time to get Slackware working on it.