Senior moments !

Thread: Senior moments !

Senior moments !

Dunno if its just me ? or does anyone else suffer from ID 10 T errors or PEBKAP (problem exists between user and keyboard).

I am now 30 and have been a Geek since 10 years old way back in 1983 around the PC incept. I am a MCT,MCSE NT4 and MCSE 2000, MCT, A+, Net +, TICSA, CCNA blah blah and on way to CISSP. I have taught now for coming upto 6 years and teach over 90 seperate courses along with bespoke ones.

I consider myself to be of more than average competence in IT and so my colleague who is much the same as myself though 9 years older feels much the same way about hmself, yet we are both constantly faced with stupidity and moronic behaviour ! who from ? students,clients,family friends ? NO it is me and him !

We are both constantly making stupid mistakes and forgetting basics, not though in the workplace but in at home on our own machines and networks.

example.
    We were having what we like to call a laptop session last night around his house. Where i just plug into his network and we screw about basically doing allsorts. Well last night i just wanted to connect to a share. i was in XP at the time and his server was Windows 2000 AS, no big deal, simple stuff ! well you would of thought, we spent over an hour wondering why we couldnt get through from my machine to his share !
    Well we finally remembered that NTFS permissions are quite important when it comes to share security ! cumulative etc and most restrictive. bearing in mind that this is stuff we teach constantly.

After a few laughs at ourselves telling each other how loody useless we both were we then came across another in DOS as we tried to get an old laptop to connect from DOS to his Win 2k server ! again after an hour we decided it might help if when using netbios from dos it needs to have netbios on the server ! duh ! we then ended up using tcp/ip anyway cos we decided that we were stupid so lets forget the initial plan and start again.

To top things off which is what lead me to posting this is what happened to me about 30 mins ago.
    I had a problem with a partition and the only way i could recover the data at the time was to use dos to see the partiton as no other OS could (still dunno y) as they all could this morning. Anyway i copied all the data to a new partition so i could delete the bad one and recreate. No problem, well it is now on the new partition where my recovered data is, consists of 6 GB of files and folders truncated to the 8.3 (~) alias.

So have to rename everything now 1 what an idiot.

the point of all this is myself and my friend are well aware of all these skills and alot more complicated stuff which we carry out every day yet we still seem to have these what i like to call senior moments where simple stuff seems to get really unnecessarily comlpicated.

Are we getting old ? do we have to much crap stuffed in our heads ? is it just glitches in the matrix ? i dunno but please people tell me we are no the only ones ! are there people out there who like us are constantly astounded by there own stupidity when most of the time you think you are above average intelligence ! do you constantly get frustrated with others who cant do somple tasks yet in your own home you do it all the time ?

please reassure me !

cheers

live well and love life!
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Well don't feel bad, I'm 20 now and have been playing with computers for over the past 20 years. My friends and I have no problem at our jobs at work, but it seems at times when we go home we are just basic users. We've run into the same problems, or just the fact of "Why can't I get this CD to boot", only to realize that we had forgotten to turn the "Boot from CD" option on in BIOS. Simple stuff!

I think when you are at home, especially the more you play with computers, it sometimes seems the brain just likes to overlook the simple stuff. I've seen this a lot with people who do a lot of math in their head. I have a friend who can sit and seriously do Tri in his head, but then you ask him to add up a few prices and he can't do simple addition.

Maybe it's the more advanced we get into our fields, the more we kind of overlook the simple stuff, for the fact that to us it is the "simple stuff".

Just a thought...
    ~ AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Originally posted here by AciDriveHB
    Well don't feel bad, I'm 20 now and have been playing with computers for over the past 20 years.
    Damn you started early didn't you? heh.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

yeah i think that when you have so much crap in your head eventually you get brain fry.

still i am intreagued as to how you started computers befroe you were born ?

rofl
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

It's a gas!
    The guy was given a comp instead of a rattle!

Cool...

Nah.. His Mom wore a "Belly Keyboard".. He thumped on the Keyboard with his feet.. The data all return via serial link ... system called B2B (belly to Belly)

Oh shite did I realy post this..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

'geepod' don't sweat it. It happens to all of us. The simple stuff just bypass our head sometimes.

Just like recently I was installing a new hard drive and went into fdisk to create a dos partion and I was wondering why the drive wasn't showing up on the display partition option. I went inside the computer changing the jumper, changing the IDE cable and all. What bypassed my mind was obviously there are two drives in the machine now, so you have to switch to the desired drive you want to create the partition on. I was like, I know too much for a simple thing like that to bypass me.

So it happens, so don't worry about it too much. You will be fine.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    My worst was when I flashed a BIOS. I religiously backed up the old BIOS to floppy. Then I flashed the BIOS. When I rebooted the computer it didn't find my hard drive. So I tried to reboot using the floppy disk containing the old bios, the computer didn't find the floppy drive.

I went nuts! I screamed and swore. The dog and cats hid in fear. I took a walk before I killed something. During the walk, I realized that the new BIOS had no idea what I had for peripherals and that I would have to enter setup to tell it. If anyone had seen me at the end of the walk, they would have had me committed.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot