Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Administration

Remote Administration

Hello...
    I m back again...Can anyone tell me that how to stop the remote shutdown and remote logoff service for windows 2k...for both in GUI and Command Line...
    Thanx
    And I hope its a better question this time

Bye
    hAVE Fun
    Ommy....

As far as I'm aware, the remote shutdown / reboot facility is part of the "Server" service and cannot be stopped/started independently.

It is may also be possible to prevent users from being able to shut down the machine remotely I think by removing their rights to do so.

If you stop the server service, it will prevent remote shutdown. However, it will also prevent file / print sharing and most other things.

admin privelege

admins and backup operators automatically have the right to shutdown the machine etc both in gui and cammand line, unless you are a admin. if you are then you can remove the right from the admins group if you must although i cant see why u would want to ?

hoep this is what you meant ? see help files in win 2k to explain how to remove right to service etc
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Well Geepod...I quite a bit understand ....that its the part of server's service....n the reasons i m askin this question is...that sometimes.....the network assistants in the server room(as they are from students) exploit the rights given to them...and they happen to remotely log off or shutdown our systems....ofcourse a real bad joke ...and thats really a pain in the ass....n we feel quite a bit like Mr.I-Cant-Do-Much.....So i was thinkin on the lines that wot if we somehow could disable this remote service of shutdown n logoff..to avoid these sort of jokes...Keep in mind we r ordinary users....with no privileges.....Help us for Heaven's sake....

I'm sure it can be done, but it seems like you have a real problem that network administrators should be concerned about. If students/assistants are abusing power that has been given to them, then the people responsible for them should be notified and stop it from happening. Sometimes it's easier to go to the source rather than tackle a problem yourself. However, if I've misunderstood you then please forgive me. I *am* looking for a way to answer your question more specifically but my solution involves some technical and possibly illegal stuff that I would rather not post. Please try to solve the problem by complaining to your administrator and perhaps he/she can do something about it *legally* .

I agree with keezel.

I have some ideas too... but like keezel... they could get you into trouble.

Complain to mgt and have mgt complain to your IT/MIS mgt as keezel has suggested.

Normally... user complaints to the admin won't do much.... but complaints by other department managers will do a lot more.
    It would be extremely helpful in your case if work was lost (unfortunately) as the user was logged off before the work could be saved, causing projects to be set back because the work would have to be done more than once.

Before I log off users or do remote shutdowns... I send out a message or call and warn the user.

It is possible to log off a user without the server service running... the win2k resource kit has some toolz for this.
    One that I know that will do this is the "Remote Shutdown" tool.
    http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/micro...0/shutdown.zip

It does require admin privledges though.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You can disable the remote shutdown feature, independantly, do the following:

start
    administration tools
    local security policy
    from here it's either in user priviledges or network access
    there is an option for who is allow to do remote shutdowns. Simply remove everyone and no one will be able to do a remote shutdown, period!

--PuRe www.pureescape.net
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

if it like "dir"command in dos ,do you remove it ?but you can modify you regedit ,if you hidden you command prompt ,you have already lock your shut down command.
    if i say no right ,please check and correct me.
    sorry my english is very poor!

Hey Guys..thanx for all this stuff....i really appreciate that u felt like that...
    n guess wot????i have talked to ma it department manager..he gave warning to the assistants...n these assistants are after me now...i think i m in trouble...well no probs...
    can anyone still come up with a solution, like Keezel..can u do me the favour and PuReExcTacy the access to control pannel is restricted...
    wot should i do
    and snow eagle can u plz explain wot u said..as i am a newbie..so didnt get u completely...??
    i hope u guys help me out...
    thanx all the ways...
    have fun
    ommy

I'm truly sorry that the assistants are after you, however it's they who are in the wrong, not you. You should be immune from getting into any trouble as long as you don't try to "solve" the problem on your own. Knowing this, I'd suggest that *if* they do anything, you continue to pester the living daylights out of the manager until something is done (like the destructive assistants being fired). Also, you mentioned something about wanting access to the control panel; the way that access to the control panel is usually restricted is by editing the registry. It's possible to (way too easily) gain access to the registry to regain access to the control panel even if you aren't supposed to be able to get to regedit (and when the run command isn't accessible) but I'd recommend staying away from the registry for now....(espescially if you don't want to screw up your work computer) unless you really know what you're doing.