linux problems

Thread: linux problems

Unhappy linux problems

I dunno if this is the right place the post, so i apoligize in advance if i did.
    i am having a bit of trouble with my first linux installation, i got red hat linux 9, and installed it on a new harddrive, no problems with that. but after several days of use, i enabled some things like sounds, changed the theme, tried to install a java machine so i could enjoy some java enabled websites, that didn't work. now linux freezes whenever i try to start up certain programs, they seem to be random, but im not sure. like whenever i try to start up red hat network to download updates, the whole thing freezes up, or whenever i access the sound preferences box, and attempt to preview some of the sounds, whole thing freezes up. at first i will kill the non responsive application, but then i am unable to use the main menu to logout, and restart, and everything stop working to the point where i must turn of the computer manually!! i am so frustrated, i thought linux was supposed to be stable, why the hell is it crashing over little things like this!?!? any help is appreciated, thanks.

First off, I would move this to some other forum. It is definitely not a Tutorial. Maybe something like General Chit Chat, since it isn't really a security question.
    About your problem: What kind of sound card do you have? It could be that your sound card is not supported by Red Hat 9 and you will need to download and install the drivers for it.
    Also, did you try removing or re-installing the java virtual machine? The install might not have completed properly, and it may have left your web browser in a bad way.
    I'm not a big Linux guy, but hopefully these point you in the proper direction. Good luck!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

post your system details. like what kind of sound card, video card, etc... you need to give us some general information about the error besides the fact that it's freezing. what version of java vm did you install, or what version of browser are you using? they all sound isolated. if you think your java is causing the problem, did you install it using root and placing symlink like this

(/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla-1.4_version/plugins/)#ln -s /usr/java/j2re_version/libjava*

something like that?

-w0rm3y

hrmm good point, i did install it using the root user account, but i have not yet installed new sound drivers, the sound card is onboard my mother board, i don't think the java program i downloaded has anything to do with it, but yet it doens't work when i goto java enabled sites, any suggestions about that would prove helpful, i'll go get new drivers for my sound card, see if that fixes the problem, any other suggestions would be of great value, thanks.

by the way wormey what was that command line for? do i need to do some thing so that my web browser realizes i have java installed? i know thats a dumb question, but i am new to linux, any comments would help alot thx.

To fix your java problems with RH9... check out my solution.

I use RH9 with netscape 7.02 and the latest java.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=244092

Read the third post.

I have had several other people using RH9 say that this works... so give it a whirl. If you don't like netscape replace the symlink to your preferred browser.

Hope that helps ya!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

awesome, thanks phish, that sounds like it should do the trick, but its like 3:40 am for me so i think im gonna get to bed, i'll be sure to try that tommorow, thx again.

(earlier that morning)

YES IS WORKED@@#!#!! thanks again phish
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter