Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Password Crack

why crack?

You're dealing with Windows XP, right? Well if that's the case then there's a much easier way to get into any of the accounts. I don't know how to crack the passwords like you asked but (assuming the previous owner is just some ignorant luser) an easier way is to just bypass them. First I would recommend that you get the XP disk somehow and just re-install windows bc then you can customize it however you like, but if you would rather just access the system then here goes. I live in a dorm, so we have a lot of fun messing with each other's computers and being able to bypass a Windows XP password is a must-have skill if you're going to have any fun When the computer is booting up you can use the "boot keys" which means you hit a function key (like f5 or f8) when the computer is just starting up to do something before the computer goes into windows. It is much easier to manipulate the other versions of windows, but on XP you can hit F8 repeatedly as soon as the power comes on and you'll get a menu asking what you want to do. Select "boot into safe mode" and when the welcome screen somes up there's a new account labeled "Administrator". From this account you can change (or remove) the passwords of other accounts without having to know the password! This can be disabled, but it worked on all the computers I've tried it on to date. If I missed something, please don't flame me. Thanks
    -keezel

Banned
    Originally posted here by unhappyStar_7
    i doubt you have completly legitimate intentions in mind but truly i don't care so here goes...
    I agree with you on that... this guy sells used computers and he doesn't clean the hard drives? That is wierd... and the guy buying the computer doesn't want a clean hard drive? Sounds like some wants to do some cracking..

Lopht

I have had huge success cracking local box admin passwords with LophtCrack. It's a commercial product now, but essential. A previous poster already posted the process, I am just backing him up. We have standardized local administrator policies, but every once in a while you run into one that someone fat fingered or it may even be a rogue box. Out comes Lopht and in about 5 hours you have the password, assmuning it's an easy one. I had one take almost 20 hours but it was a slow machine and the password was huge.

I have also had to clean up a network in which the previous admin was fired and took all the passwords, if you find yourself in that postition it is very stressful and time consuming to find and document the network, this tool is definitly one that helps. As always physcial access to a machine is paramount. So keep those critical PCs locked up!
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I have had a lot of success with the Winternals software for recovering and changing lost admin passwords. They offer a evaluation (which is fully functional) on their website.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

back a few years

Someone can probably clarify this, but Lopht Crack was developed by a hacking group called Lopht Heavy Industries. I think these guys decided to go legit and form Winternals. And started winternals.com. There current projects are, I believe, to be children of their old hacking tools.

I remember reading that back when they shifted the old web site to winternals.com??
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Under most NTFS file systems the NT Password and Registry Editor Boot disk has been known to work. We use it on NT/2000 and it has never failed. I'm sharing this information in hopes it is used for good reasons only. Don't make me regret this. It can be found by doing a search on google.

window xp does not ask for a username it only ask for a password ..

XP Pro

If you have XP Pro you can turn on some better security, User Name and password, and if on a domain or active directory, domain credentials can be added.
    West of House

Exclamation

That is untrue! Even without XPpro, let's say you log in using the welcome screen and there are several users. When you click on your name or one of the accounts, you are selecting a USERNAME and then (depending on how the account is configured) you might have to enter a password. The screen where you are asked to click on one of the accounts IS where XP asks for your username. RoadClosed is also correct, there are usernames in both XP home and pro, however, popeye's statement is totally wrong. I've seen login systems for XP where you actually have to type in your username and password before you're allowed access to the machine but I'm not exactly sure how it's done.

Ya Keezal

You can set up different profiles in XP home so that Mom and Dad can have seperate desktops from the kids. There are a lot of options for home, personally my XP home edition on my home PC doesn't ask for anything, and I think I chose that option when I upgraded using the wizard. I am not at home now so I can't remember the commands. I did get this from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

"To open the User Accounts tool, open Control Panel from the Start menu, and then double click User Accounts.

To create a new user account, follow these steps:

1. Click "Create a new account" in the "Pick a task" list box.
    2. Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click Next.
    3. Select the desired account type, and then click Create Account.

To make changes to an account, follow these steps:

1. Click "Change an account" in the "Pick a task" list box.
    2. Click the account that you want to change.
    3. Select the item that you would like to change:

- Click "Change the name" to change the name that appears on the Welcome screen for the account.

- Click "Change the picture" to change the picture that is used to represent the user account. You can use any image file on the computer for the user's picture.

- Click "Change the account type" to change the account type to increase or decrease the user's rights on the computer.

- Click "Create/change the password" to create or change the password for the user and create or change the password hint.

- Click "Delete the account" to delete the user account from the computer. When you delete the account, you are given the
    option to save the user's files on the computer.

Note: You can not delete the account for a user that is currently logged on to the computer."
    West of House