To HOST or not to HOST??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To HOST or not to HOST??

To HOST or not to HOST??

Hi

I am gonna get me a paid-for SITE(a normal one that is,and not a free account(with those DAMN banners)

Please,tell me what you think?

These are the packages that my budget allows if i host on HETZNER(www.hetzner.co.za)

1)MICRO(not upgradeable)
    -PRICE: R19/m (about 2.5 US $)
    -SPACE: ONLY 1 MEG
    -Email ACCs: 1 EMAIL ACCOUNT
    -SPECIAL FEATURES(They dont say (on the site, that is) what the cost are or whether it is enabled for all packages for special features like:-Telnet/SSH, special extensions,etc.

2)MICRO-PRO(not upgradeable)
    -PRICE : R39/m(about 5.2 US $)
    -SPACE: 5 MEG( this oughta do,for me)
    -Email ACCs: 5 EMAIL ACCOUNTs
    -SPECIAL FEATURES(same as no1)

3)STANDARD(upgradeable)
    -PRICE: R99/m(about 13 US $ ;(- too expensive)
    -SPACE: 20 MEG
    -EMAIL: 10 accounts
    -SPECIAL FEATURES(smae as no1)

That it.
    I am thinking of getting NO.2 -MICRO-PRO,this is th 1st time I get a paid site, I really need some advice.
    How much do you pay in dah US of A(comparitively)???

And would I have to pay extra for a .COM site(their site says i can choose->but then again
    THIS IS SOUTH-AFRICA(trust no-one)

They state that they have an 99,9% UPTIME,but for me that is not an advantage -> ITS a MUST HAVE.

What do you guyz(gurlz 2) think??
    Thank You.

GreekGoddess
    This is the host I'm with for two of my sites:
    http://www.hostdime.com/hosting.shtml

It seems like you don't get a lot for what you pay with South African hosts. If you were interested in getting a host like hostime, all you'd have to do is exchange the currency, plus it seems to me you get so much more for less.

Gee thats R26.25/m(3.5 US $)

Thats a real good deal.

South Africa's average man doesn't know much about computers- nevermind the net or WEB-DEVELOPEMENT, so these people take advantage of that(as always).

This is a good example of what i mean->
    My ISP (ww.mweb.co.za) advertises and markets that it is so GOOOOD and it offers TOP FREE-HOSTING
    capabilities,guess what i got

They give 1meg
    You cant choose ya url->lets say my internet username is PIETPOMPIES so then they automatically make your E-MAIL addres PIETPOMPIES@Mweb.co.za
    and your URL will then be
    www.mweb.co.za/residents/PIETPOMPIES
    No feutures incl.->NOTHING.
    Well but i guess thats what i should expect for a FREE-SITE.

Enough FREE-SITE bussines.

because of this lack of technology knowledge in SOUTH-AFRICA(and i dont mean we are behind the rest of the world,WE ARE ADVANCED in TECHNOLOGY,what i mean is that like i said the average peson doesnt know much)
    I got a few WEB-SITES to create for some ppl ( - its no longer jus an game for me ->its a game that could
    bring in a buck or 2->I'm all for it,personnaly i would do it for free but my MA SAYS i should ask these guys to PAY UP,since they are clients of her businnes;*tip=LISTEN TO YA MA,but REBBEL YA PA*)

So how much do ppl ask to create websites????
    If you could please tell me how much a ROOKIE(LONEWOLF too) would get paid???
    And also how much a certifide HTML person/company would get???

THANX

My host

I host my sites and e-mail at www.fortweb.com for $9.99 US per month I get decent bandwidth and UNLIMITED email accounts. You get to control all the mail accounts and various other services through a control panel. It's a mom and pop operation so you get great service as well. They won't do any programming or advanced configs so you'll have to know something about setting up a site but you get a lot of power for the money.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

GreekGoddess
    Originally posted here by EINzTEIN
    So how much do ppl ask to create websites????
    If you could please tell me how much a ROOKIE(LONEWOLF too) would get paid???
    And also how much a certifide HTML person/company would get???
    It really depends on what kind of services you offer and what skills you have as a designer/developer. E-Lance is a great site to see who's out there and also see what kind of projects get what kind of bids:
    http://www.elance.com

What do you mean by rookie? If you're a complete beginner, don't expect to charge anything for quite a while. In fact, I think it's best (and this is my professional opinion) to build a small portfolio of different kinds of sites, different genres, different purposes, before you even think of going into business for yourself. This could take months to build up, which is not meant to be discouraging, but the internet isn't going away, so what's a few months?

Companies and qualified professionals who land big clients can easily expect 1500.00+ USD for the sites they work on. Especially when you're dealing with dynamic content or writing personalized web applications.

Overall, research is going to be your best friend. If you've got the resume, you may just be in a great area to make the money.

Hey Hey.......

Like GG said it really depends on the services you offer.... One site I have designed and coded is http://www.eaglebanner.com and I've made about $300 CDN off the site.. 250 for the initial design and set-up and about 50 bux for updates... The more you offer, the more you can charge...
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

GC -> I was not looking for work in WEB DESIGN ,but like i said people dont know much about da NET,and my MA's CLIENTS needs WEBSITEs (she is all of these accountent/loan granter/
    new business setups.)And I can offer them websites for alot CHEAPER, plus its good
    experience i'm getting(my carreer is solely COMPUTERS and only computers(would have been WEED CULTIVATION baah the gov didn't think so )

So my point is ->I am not it it for the money,no, its for the love of PCs.
    And please remember these "clients"'s main idea is to get a busines (one with assets)
    and the WEB page is like only a novelty or a place where more info is supplied,
    and the site is not there to get them clients(maybe jus a few).

Nice site HTRRegZ-> but damn man,you must be rolling in dah US $s,that is quite alot you ask

Thank you for replying
    CHEERS

www.ipowerweb.com gives u 500 meg and 30 gig of transfer and supports pretty much evrything i love the service. it really depends what ur gonna do with ur site (i make game trailers so i need the space and bandwidth)

Whenever I give out hosting to a client it's a shared package from one of our dedicated. If you are expecting A LOT of hosting to provide, go for a dedicated, or if you're just going to give out occasional packages, check out some reseller arrangements of hosting companies.

I work with a core PHP modular system, which I expand with certain pre-build modules to create the site of my client. With a simple site, the only thing I'm creating new for the client is the Stylesheet. With more complicated sites, it's sometimes required to build new modules (which I then will use for other clients when they need something similar).

For a jobs that allready have modules available for them, I create a price based on the modules which are required to be included. If a new module should be constructed, I normally charge 40 EUR per hour to make it. The code they order will allways be mine. They will only get ownership of the created Stylesheet, and the look of the site, not for the backend re-usable modules/function libs created.

LOL, now that I look back at this post, I think Im giving you a little more info then you actually need.... eh.... just ignore the last 2 paragraphs untill you get into some server-side scripting language.

For more info on HTML/CSS (a must-know):
    http://www.w3schools.com/

Hope this helped,

Frank.
    Bleh.

GreekGoddess
    Originally posted here by EINzTEIN
    GC -> I was not looking for work in WEB DESIGN ,but like i said people dont know much about da NET,and my MA's CLIENTS needs WEBSITEs (she is all of these accountent/loan granter/
    new business setups.)And I can offer them websites for alot CHEAPER, plus its good
    experience i'm getting(my carreer is solely COMPUTERS and only computers(would have been WEED CULTIVATION baah the gov didn't think so )

So my point is ->I am not it it for the money,no, its for the love of PCs.
    And please remember these "clients"'s main idea is to get a busines (one with assets)
    and the WEB page is like only a novelty or a place where more info is supplied,
    and the site is not there to get them clients(maybe jus a few).
    Okay, you're not looking to be in web design/dev, but you're doing people's sites? I don't understand.

Also, I see you asking a lot of basic questions dealing with JavaScript and html. Do you really expect to charge money for designing a site right now when you're just learning the basics? Besides coding, are you familiar with branding and marketing techniques? There's a lot more to working with businesses than just designing a page, unless they truly are ignorant.

Just curious.