Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall Question

Lightbulb Firewall Question

When i play online game i allow the game to access to internet with a firewall on. A question here, can a cracker breaks into my computer because i allow the game to go online as some ports would be open?

i'm using zonealarm.

Banned
    If your scared of the lack of security some online games may have then just remember It really deppends on how much control the program has over your computer, what type of services it runs (IE) clan gameing servers, FTP for gameing item trades & ect. Other than that theres always going to be players who will boot you or cheat and stuff...

i have a question when playing online games... there would be incoming and outgoing traffic? so i allow the online game to access internet meaning i have let a port open. If a cracker scans for open port and he/she could break into my computer though i have a firewall on?

I,m assuming if the program is using the specific port then it cant be connected to twice. Also make sure the port does'nt stay open when you are not running the game. If you are not using that specific computer for a router you shouldd be fine, if you are, the only thing that i can think of off hand is a game port could be used to enumerate your internal network. Also just keep an eye out for vulnerabilities pertaining to the specific game and game server. Hope that help a lil.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

One question ....??? Is it a fact that we cannot have more than one active connection on a given port.....

I understand that normally the instances are pooled and used for connection.. as we call them multitasking....

But when a game opens a port.... the hacker has to learn which port is opened.. Moreover personal firewall have a option to give access for Online or give access to application as server....

If u have not selected the latter.. I am sure the firewall will ensure that the cracker cannot make any penetration....

Regards

Kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

i search the net for the weakness of zonealarm. i came across this site how can i prevent trojans/backdoors or other malicious programs doing this?

anjali

Yes some one can use the same port that another program is useing if it isn't useing the port to its full capacity(no more room for the person/program to use) in wich it most likely would!

anjali

Yes some one can use the same port that another program is useing if it isn't useing the port to its full capacity(no more room for the person/program to use) in wich it most likely would!
    Signature image is too wide!
    Signature image is too tall!

Games and risk

I agree with others in this thread, make sure the port doesn't stay open after you quit the game and just keep an eye on things. Games are a risk, period. But as an avid on-line gamer, that risk is both acceptable and fun. You are basically allowing a client to connect to a server and in some cases you run a little mini server on your machine. Most game companies try and secure this cordination between your client and a games server somewhere on the internet, but what is to stop a malicious game hoster, let's say in another country from finding an anomoly in the client software and dumping some code on your PC, nothing at all except some good people who detect it. I'll give you an example, there was a old vulnerability in the Half-life dedicated 'nix server at one time that let a server run executables on the client PC. That's fixed but who's to say some other vulnerability isn't waiting to be discovered.

Do what I do, have fun and be careful.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

tough question

Originally posted here by Death_Knight
    i search the net for the weakness of zonealarm. i came across this site how can i prevent trojans/backdoors or other malicious programs doing this?
    Change products is one way to ensure that ZA doesn't ruin your life. See this.

www.agnitum.com - outpost firewall (Even the free one is better than ZA.)
    www.sygate.com - sygate personal firewall (Not too shabby a product.)

peace
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Re: tough question

Originally posted here by KorpDeath

Change products is one way to ensure that ZA doesn't ruin your life. See this.

www.agnitum.com - outpost firewall (Even the free one is better than ZA.)
    www.sygate.com - sygate personal firewall (Not too shabby a product.)

peace
    Custom Program Control of ZA Pro v4 does it blocks malicious programs using another application to access the internet. Image attach.