Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why the F am i being disconnected?

why the F am i being disconnected?

Here we go this is my first post so please bare with me. I am running windows xp home on a laptop and a tower. i have a Dlink router. [5 gig wireless] but we are have them hardlined.[cat5] I have comcast cable and i am dhcp for my connection. i have a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. For some reason i cannot for the life of me stay online for 20 minutes before i get the message that [ your network connection has been disconnected]. On both computers! I am about to throw this pc out the window. Please help!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Moved from Antionline: How do I? to General Chit Chat**

Hrmmm... have you done some tcpdump listening to see what the packets are doing? Have you checked your dhcp settings to see when the lease expires?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Here's a list of some of those options:

IpConfig

thank you mitten and frame i appreciate the help! Someone negged me for this post =[ but you helped me.

also mittens how do i check to see when my lease expires?

it says monday june 30th. sorry thanks again anything else i might be able to do? how do i do a tcpdump?

i did a flush and a register dns. thank for your help!

i did a flush and a register dns.
    Sorry. What do you mean?

You can download Windump, the Windows version of TCPDump. It's a packet sniffer so you can use it to see if any unusual packets are happening or other activities.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

tytytytytyty!

lmao mittens my screen is scrolling crasy lines of ip address how do i determine which are bad or not?

cOre

MsMittens, He probably used the registerdns command switch, it's in windows XP and not only renews DHCP licences like renew, it also refreshes all DNS names. Windows XP is designed for DNS and Wins is gone so there are some tools to fix DNS problems. The flushdns command flushes existing DNS resolvers. tools for troubleshooting DNS nightmares like I have

cOre, you did all that and it's still going bye bye after 20 minutes?

I had a similar problems with a tower and a laptop and never really "resolved" my DNS issues with Windows XP, it was constantly doing strange things. I solved it by going out and buying a Siemons $10US Internet Gateway router and setting both PCs to DHCP and plugging them into a port (has 5) Then plugging the Gatway Router into my Cable modem. Wish I would have done that along time ago. Now I plug and unplug devices all the time and never have a problem. Even my PS2.

Ok back to windows... to see the lease expiration date c:\ipconfig \all
    This will show your lease.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by c0re
    tytytytytyty!

lmao mittens my screen is scrolling crasy lines of ip address how do i determine which are bad or not?
    Hehe.. look at source and destination addresses, ports and the data they carry .. You'll need to set options as to how much or how little information you want windump to collect. (BTW, this is a good way to understand a little more as to how NIDS work.. .. as well as TCP/IP). What you want to look for is which device is sending a DHCP release packet. (My guess).

Interesting Solution by RoadClosed. I personally use a NetGear router. What I'm not sure of is why your Dlink router is releasing the IPs so quickly.

Have you checked Dlink to see if there is any mention of similar problems for other people?

thank you road closed i just might do that i have already spent over 300 dollars so that my wife could go wireless but i ended up making it hardlined because i thought that was the problem. thank you msmittens one more time you all are life savers. for some reason after i did what you told me to do i havent had any problems. but i am not always home so i cant check [dangnabbit] thanks so MUCH for the help ms mittens, framework and roadclosed. =]

ok it just happened my wife got online after i did on her laptop and WHAM! network connection unplugged! what am i doing wrong?