Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Messanger Services... SPAM

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    sounds to me like at some point you have either added this web site to the "trusted" zone thus the 137/139 NetBIOS calls are allowed in. Try looking there.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I have very few applications that are trusted. I prefer to always click yes, then I no exactly when applications require the internet. The only programs that are allowed access without my permission are applications that I use all the time. 99% of my applications are all set to ask me before I use them. I dont think that this is my problem tiger shark. But thanks for the suggestion.

The windows XP firewall thingy(whatever it is) will block those for you as well.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Xeron:

Since you seem to be familiar with the messenger service and it's uses then I would hazard a guess that you use it. That being the case, at some time in the past you probably got a message from Zone Alarm saying that "X" was trying to connect by it. At which point you probably told it "OK" and "Remember"..... Therein lies your problem.... You allowed it 'cos you want to be able to use some of it's features. Unfortunately, you are allowing the spammer to use it too.

This is one reason I don't like personal software firewall's. I may have a small home network and want to enable certain functionality between them but it is very easy to make a simple mistake and allow anyone access to the same service. Go off to CompUSA or wherever and plonk down the $60 or so on a linksys or similar. Then you will block the spammer's attempts to connect at that firewall and can still use all the functionality of the NetBIOS service with your other machines behind it.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Unfortunatly Adaware and resetting the messenger services hasnt managed to block the spam.
    I've looked around zone alarm Tiger Shark and I dont think its the fact that the spam is trusted.
    I've got 44 programs in the program control pannel and I only allow 9 of them programs to access the internet without asking for my permision. I no exactly what the 9 programs are for, and none of them are new. As I said I dont often check the box which states dont ask me again.
    And To be honest Tiger Shark i'm very un-familiar with the Messanger Services. I've only come accross it today. I dont use the services, but I still think stopping the services is in appropiate. If a program I use did require it, and i've disabled it, i could find my self in a bad situation. I cant justify blocking a services because of a scamming company.

Thanks again for all the help... anyone got any other sugestions??

Just disable the Windows Messenger, if a program really needs it, you can still restart the service. (I don't know such a program though.)

Stoopiong the messenger service will have no dire effects at all. unless of course you use it specifically for net send etc or whatever. If at a later date just restart it it will at lesat solve the problem short term until you can find a more permanent fix.

Trust me that stopping the service will cause no harm.
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Trillian is better anyway : )

My 2 cents. Use a better software firewall that allows you create custom rules. Not to mention ZA sucks anyway. Buy Outpost or Sygate and you can customize all you want. Otherwise I believe the free version of Outpost will do, too.

Good luck.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Ok,
    After doing a little bit of research and talking to various people, like many of you have said, just turn of the services. From what I can see there is no reason not to turn off the serivce now I have looked into the matter further.
    As I said:
    i'm very un-familiar with the Messanger Services. I've only come accross it today.
    I was just being a bit cautious, as I was un sure about the service. Last night I turned off the service, and as expected the problem is solved. I'm sure that any application or software that would use this service would be somthing pritty crappy.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help

But now I think I should quickly explain how you can turn off the messanger service with XP just incase other people have this problem and they are unsure on the area.

Firstly you need to go into your adminstrative tools. This can be found in the control pannel. To open your control pannel click on [start] > [settings] > [control pannel] Or, if you dont have this layout you can go to [start] > [run] > and type the word "control" (without the speech marks)

Now click on the administrative tools Icon, you then want to click on the Services Icon. When the services window has loaded, scroll down the list untill you see a service called messanger. Double click on the service. Under the general tab set the "Start up type" to manual using the drop down list, and set the "Service Status" to "stopped" by clicking the "stop" button.

Finally click on Apply. All messages from this services will now be blocked. You can test this by opening the command promt and typing "net send 127.0.0.1 hello" if it fails you've successfully disabled the service. You may also want to turn the service back on so that you can play with the service to learn new things. "net help" may also be usefull to you in the command promt.

I hope that helps if you occur the problem.

Thanks again people.