Registry Edits

Thread: Registry Edits

Registry Edits

How can you enable a WindowsNT machine to not display the previous users name that logged on? I know how to in 2K, but what about NT?

Also, is it possible to Restrict SAM repair to Administrator account only?

Share on Google+

No show last logon:

(it works in Win2k too, but Win2k at least gives you the GUI option to change this)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value: DontDisplayLastUserName
    Data Type: REG_SZ
    Value: 1

I HIGHLY recommend www.regedit.com. They have some really cool stuff and is a great reference for this kind of thing (I recently used it to figure out how to use the windows time service in Win2k/XP).

As far as the repair thing...what if you changed \WINNT\REPAIR to only be owned by Administrators with full control?

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)
    Share on Google+

Thanx Neb. Worked Great...

a question I also have is on Password Complexity. Is there anyway to change the complexity of (6) set by passfilt.dll to (8)?

If it was set manually through the user policies would there be any conflicts?
    Share on Google+

You have to use the User Manager to change the length of the passwords, at least locally. As far as conflicts, I really don't know, I am not a NT or Win2k or WinXP administrator (thank god). There should be something that allows you to push the policy down through the domain policy; however, what effects doing it locally would have on this, I really can't say, other than I am leaning towards, local user policies only apply when the user logs on locally to the machine and that if it is part of the domain, it will take that policy.

Don't quote me on that though...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)
    Share on Google+

Banned
    This post went suicidal because of one post that has been deleted... I don't know if you guys are able to reply (I tried re-opening it... probably won't work.. can't beat the AP-system). If not, you could always repost this thread...
    Share on Google+