Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: >input:\\_|

I am tired of wading through the crap on the internet, just to get to about 3 lines of info.
    Then you are looking in the wrong places.

*albn fires up Google

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...t.asp?lngWId=3 This has many lines of C++ code for you to learn from, and this was the very first hit. Try a search yourself and see what you get... c'mon, you can do it

KaZaA has excellent docs in PDF for learning C++ and just about anything you can think of. Just search for "docs" and type C++, protocols, etc.. Oh, wait a second you said:

I am running out of money to spend on computer books.
    Hmm, if paper books do nothing for you, then electronic books will do you no good either. Heh, I tried

Honestly, it gets really old doing for others what you can do for yourself. Nobody can learn this stuff for you and shove the knowledge in your ear. You need to ask yourself what you wanna know, take it one step atta time and ask questions along the way. It is ludicrous to come in here and ask for "anything and everything" when you need to start at square one.

Like the old saying goes: "Milk before meat"

Good luck

IMO, the only real way to learn is through experience...
    How true this is. The only way to learn is to do. Sure you can read to get somewhere, but the best tutorial is the unwritten one. If you wish to learn about things do them. If you do not have 'in depth' knowledge about computers, networks, ports, netbios, et cetera. I would suggest you to hook up 2 windows computers on a LAN. Learn about basic networking through windows, learn the protocols used, tcp/ip, udp, et cetera, even if you just set them up using a router this will provide you with a lot of 'stuff' to do. Learn how to configure the router, set up one of the computers on the DMZ, learn about forwarding, use UPnP, dynamic/static routing, MAC address cloning, DHCP, et cetera. Then once you think that you understand everything there, switch over one of the boxes to a *nix OS. Then learn about interoperability across platforms. Then set up either box as a server, try setting up a web, ftp, smtp server through the router. Then set up a domain behind the router. Configure it both ways, once with a windows as the server, again with a *nix OS as the server. Then try setting up a VPN to dial into to access your domain across a phone line or just through a regular internet ISP. After you have learned 'in depth' about all of the following plus more, then start to analyze all of the services and protocols you have running. Start looking at how you can exploit or take advantage of the servers, learn how to identify holes and then how to patch them up. Start by using generic exploits but proceed to develop your own and understand how they work and how to patch them up. And after you understand all of that and more, go get yourself a job .

Apparently some people took offense to my earlier post in here. Anyway, I diddn't really mean it as a flame, but as one person put it to me "you totally slammed that dude". Sounds like something I'd say.... Anyway, sorry if I ofended you MR.CD:\ and um.....I think I'm going to stay away from saying ANYTHING negative for awhile . Not that big a problem for me, I don't usually say negative stuff anyway. I'd also like to say that I completely agree with albn's post^ but as for the "no money for books" part of your post: memory's links can help you there because many of the links take you to sites where you can find libraries of free online books. Thanks memory for sharing your incredible library of resources.
    -keezel

I think I'm going to stay away from saying ANYTHING negative for awhile
    I think I won't. Read up. If you cannot, there is nothing we can do.

heh

Well I don't want to start another flame war.. I seem to be good at that.... but this is just another example of people wanting someone else to do their work for them.... We all got here because we took the time to learn... we put in hours upon hours until we had ideas and theories down pat.. Why does everyone want us to hand them the knowledge that took us hours and years to learn.. Generic posts are completely useless.. I could sit here for days and type.. and not cover even part of the information that could be passed on. Everyone has mentioned it... but google is your bestfriend.. I suggest you search around on here and read the tutorials.. Find something that interests you and play with it... Then ask us specific questions.. those we can help you with.. we can answer them.. and lead you to a solution.. but when you post something generic, it's not going to get you anywhere...

Check out the reading room at SANS (http://www.sans.org/rr/) It has a good archive of articles related to information security. Also try The basics section at SecurityFocus (http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/basics).
    Other than that I´d try and find a good introduction paper on TCP/IP.

That is probably enough information too keep you busy for a few months. Like with everything else, expertise comes from reading a lot, and practising, practising practising...

Good luck!