MAC beats PC...

Thread: MAC beats PC...

MAC cheats PC...

... to the punch with a 64 bit desktop processor. See this article.

Personally I don't see it helping MAC get anywhere except maybe knee deep in porting all of those 32 bit apps so they'll run to their potential on the new chip.

And about it being twice as fast than a n ordinary PC... I have just one thing to say... so what.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not a MAC hater I just can't stand it when they make these stupid announcements. It's not like eveyone is going to run out and buy a G5 now is it? It's still lacking 64 bit proggies to take advantage of that processor.

What are all of your feelings on this?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I think that the new chip natively supports all of the old 32-bit apps, atleast thats the way I understand it. I could be wrong, but here is what apple says:
    No progress penalty The PowerPC architecture was designed from the get-go for both 32- and 64-bit processing. That means the Power Mac G5 can run everything you run today, with no performance penalty. Contrast that with the competition, where switching to 64-bit computing will mean costly expenditures for 64-bit software or running a 32-bit operating system in a slow emulation mode. That’s right, current 32-bit Mac OS programs — including Mac OS X itself, the Classic environment and existing applications — run natively at processor speed, with no interruptions to your workflow and no additional investment in software. In fact, Mac OS X applications that take advantage of the PowerPC G4 Velocity Engine will immediately run faster on the G5. Of course, Mac OS X applications tuned for the G5 will run even faster.
    -Source: http://www.apple.com/g5/architecture.html

Edit: *After rereading your post (correctly ), I just realized that you already knew this! Anyway, I think it gives apple bragging rights to be the first with the technology, as well as a lot of potential in the future*
    \"Is this heaven? No, this is Iowa.\"
    -Field of Dreams

There may be an issue with the outcome.

The Register has an article stating that the results may be flawed. I have not read the document where it describes in detail the process they used so I am not an authority.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31405.html

MAC cheats PC....

You like the new title of my post? Had to change it in light of new information.....

Way to go Veritest, veridumb.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson