Windows 2000 SP4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 2000 SP4

i would not advance beyond SP2, as the SP3 eula was "updated" / "fixed" with:

"You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may automatically check the version of the OS Product and/or its components that you are utilizing and may provide upgrades or fixes to the OS Product that will be automatically downloaded to your computer,"*
    *Microsoft EULA asks for root rights - again -> http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/26517.html

i remember this being discussed here around the time, but i have not had the best of luck with searching for past articles here
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Exclamation

Dive right in but "cya" first by having a good, full backup and detailed documentation of your server/workstation build.

"Sometimes you have to just slow down to hurry up!"

Bill Russell, NBA Hall of Famer

I installed SP 4 on 2 W2K boxes.... All went smooth
    if not I would have been in for a 2 1/2 hr drive one way!!
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Well I installed it on my backup server (my sacraficial lamb). And now my box is totally secure; what I mean by that is that now my backup server is in a constant state of rebooting. At least M$ made something more secure.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I haven't had any problems with any of the Windows 2000 service packs *knocks on wooden desk*.
    The only exception to this was when I first installed 2000. It was snowing heavily outside, so I figure it is a good time to upgrade my system. I backed up my system, cleaned the drive, then installed 2000, device drivers, and I was in the middle of installing SP1 (which was the current SP at the time) when the power went out. When it came back on, my machine would boot to the log in screen, and as soon as it appeared, it would reboot. None of the F8'able boot options helped. So I repeated my previous 2 hours work again and waited until the snow stormed was finished before installing the SP.
    My adivce, don't install an SP during a storm when the power might go out, or if you do, make sure you have a UPS installed.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

Korp did you install it after a clean install..........I only use a sp after a clean install since using it on a fully updated box might get you in trouble.

Now the sp should only update whats needed but this part i think needs improvement.
    Sp3 gave also strange problems used that way.

At least your safe...thank God !
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Originally posted here by kadeng
    Korp did you install it after a clean install..........I only use a sp after a clean install since using it on a fully updated box might get you in trouble.

Now the sp should only update whats needed but this part i think needs improvement.
    Sp3 gave also strange problems used that way.

At least your safe...thank God !
    Umm...nope. I put it on my fully pathched backup server. I highly doubt that anyone, even M$, would expect you to totally reinstall your whole OS and programs just to install one update. This just goes to show you that testing your fixes is the way to go. I've never thought M$ has ever tested their crap correctly. Someone should write a tut on SQA (Software Quality Assurance) for M$.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted here by KorpDeath

Umm...nope. I put it on my fully pathched backup server. I highly doubt that anyone, even M$, would expect you to totally reinstall your whole OS and programs just to install one update. This just goes to show you that testing your fixes is the way to go. I've never thought M$ has ever tested their crap correctly. Someone should write a tut on SQA (Software Quality Assurance) for M$.
    They know about some of the problems.........5.0 Release Notes and Known Issues

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813432
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Hmm, well it sounds just like any normal software to me. There are always horror stories, people who oppose it or support it. But since the supporters and opposers are about equal it sounds like a fine patch. Sure there are always times when it won't work, causing continuous reboots, but other people say it works perfectly. I will just do what I always do, wait about 6-8 weeks after the service pack comes out, so most of the new holes they make are fixed, and it looks like I will be fine.