Thread: Heads Up**W32.HLLW.Lovgate.L@mm

Exclamation Heads Up**W32.HLLW.Lovgate.L@mm

Hi Guys,

This has been a busy day for virii ..

Here is the latest.. version of Lovgate, info from Symantec
    No information for this version on McAfee at this time.
    Listed as Version G with RAV
    Appears to be version M on Sophos

Distribution: High
    Damage: Medium
    Wild: Low

The W32.HLLW.Lovgate.L@mm worm is a variant of W32.HLLW.Lovgate.I@mm. This worm has been repacked to make it difficult for antivirus software to detect it.

For more information about the worm, refer to the W32.HLLW.Lovgate.I@mm writeup.

Also Known As: I-Worm.Lovgate.i [KAV]
    Type: Worm
    Infection Length: 163,587 bytes
    Systems Affected: Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP
    Systems Not Affected: Windows 3.x, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Linux
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

If you are running Mcafee you might wanna update your engine (if you didn't allready)

Read all about why here : Update Mcafee engine to 4.2.60

I've encountered a problem with the previous engine ... if a server or pc got infected with the Lovgate and the klez virus together .. A key in the registry (wich starts the shield at startup)
    would disapear and the virusses would have their way ...
    One of our servers got as much as 16000 of those pesty lovgates at 158kb a piece ... you do the math.

Any way was a bit frustrated with this virus it can do a lot of damage if your company doesn't know much about antivirus...and you have to do everything manualy (300 servers updating by hand because they don't see the advantage of an enterprise edition )

And then I didn't mntion the 6000 client pc's (yes 6000) ...no way am I gonna do those manualy
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

And the fun part of lovgate.. It is network aware.. ie it looks for file shares to spread/update itself.. Cool..huh

Thanks Cemetric for that warning regarding McAfee

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

And the fun part of lovgate.. It is network aware.. ie it looks for file shares to spread/update itself.. Cool..huh
    Thnx Und3ertak3r forgot to mention that ...it does indeed use shares to distribute itself ...

Thanks Cemetric for that warning regarding McAfee
    No worries ..I'm here to please

Greetz
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Thanks alot for the heads up. Keep us posted on any developments.
    Gen. A