Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: telnet

telnet

ok noob here lets see if i got this right i put a IP in telnet scan the port . is this how i use other ppl comps? if i get in there is it windos r commands. yes give me hell 4 this x)

No, normally you cannot control other people's computer just by telnetting into them, unless they have some backdoor or something installed. And this is cracking, don't do it.
    If a backdoor is installed, you control the pc using the command prompt. Also there is a better tool available then telnet; netcat. Find it here: http://www.atstake.com/research/tool...ork_utilities/.
    Definitly learn how to work with it.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Banned
    In a comp like XP type telnet
    then o
    then type the a IP like 127.0.0.1 25 <-- 25 is the port# for like a mail server
    And yes you'll be asked for commands and sometimes even a login.

But its not going to have screen dump or mouse control & the many options that alot of these remote admin tools have. Oh and by the way you can telnet to servers (legally) with telnet://drill.hackerslab.org and there are a few places in the http://happyhacker.org site.

You can also like telnet to a network printer (printer with a networkcard not a shared printer)
    then you can adjust the settings .
    You can also connect to a router or a switch and provided you have the password can configure the settings here also.

Telnet can be a dangerous tool ... if you use it on devices you are not supposed to be on you might get in trouble

Anyway ..my two cents,
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Yep, I had that problem a while ago, somebody was changing the settings of my router. So I just switched it off, a few hours later I connected my fathers laptop to it and changed the settings back. To access the quick config page of my router you don't need to enter a password so some things can be changed easily.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

To access the quick config page of my router you don't need to enter a password so some things can be changed easily.
    Hmm sounds dangerous or more like anoying ...
    I have an old pc converted to a linx router (distro on floppy disk) NAT and firewall enabled with dhcp etc...

No problems as yet ...

Sorry for the off topic though...

As for the telnet ...keep in mind it's mostly used for troubleshooting and not for malicious things.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

But it's not a problem anymore, I configured the firewall of the router (it's wireless) to not allow external incoming connections, so only computers from within the network can acces the page.

www.elhalf.com

Many people use the telnet for talking
    i know that i tried it out once but i never got connected to my friend
    does he have to accept or put down his firewall or something
    anyone know?

Webopedia Definition for some of you guys who look like you need it.

"Telnet: A terminal emulation program for TCP/IP networks such as the Internet. The Telnet program runs on your computer and connects your PC to a server(EDT: or network aware periphial) on the network. You can then enter commands through the Telnet program and they will be executed as if you were entering them directly on the server console. This enables you to control the server and communicate with other servers on the network. To start a Telnet session, you must log in to a server by entering a valid username and password. Telnet is a common way to remotely control Web servers. "

Whew! That said there are many other uses for telnet like the ones mentioned here since its basically a generic plain text connection you can connect to many services which are also plain text like SMTP or even HTTP, sometimes the server will echo back what you type sometimes not(so you're flying blind ). For instance I often use telnet to dump the source of webpages to a file for later inspection. ie:

telnet www.google.com 80 > google.html
    GET / HTTP/1.0

hit enter twice and google will respond to your request and send the page to you which is then piped to a file called google.html,with a little practice and a good script language, scripts can be written using these type of techniques to automate many network procedures including vulnerabilty testing. After you understand telnet, I too recomend you download and play with Netcat which is more versatile and powerful than a basic telnet client.

-Maestro
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

scriptkiddie18, one wayof using telnet to talk to someone else is to log onto their unix machine and use talk. Just a suggestion.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"